It is a great opportunity to shape a Directorate that pushes the boundaries of creativity, and develop innovative products and solutions that streamline processes and improve services.
Reporting to the Director General for HMRC Customer Services, the Director, Operational Excellence will focus on putting the customer at the heart of service delivery. They will lead a broad range of central services to improve the quality and efficiency of the customer journeys across all of our operations. They will take accountability for leading projects that will give operational teams the tools to deliver clearly defined benefits in terms of demand reduction, service improvement and efficiency. They will also own the ‘gateway’ to operations for corporate transformation programmes.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities include:
Leadership of strategic change and digital relationships for Customer Services Group
- Lead the Group’s strategic relationship with key parts of HMRC in the development of strategy and policy initiatives and act as the ‘gateway’ into Customer Services
- Own the digital agenda within Customer Services Group and manage the strategic relationships to drive progress.
- Develop digital solutions that enhance the customer experience and drive down demand through more effective end-to-end service management.
- Develop digital delivery capability for Customer Services Group
Leadership of a single portfolio of change & continuous improvement
- Create the conditions for all change to land successfully, identifying and managing impacts on people, performance & customer experience, and driving realisable benefits.
- Drive the implementation of new and effective Continuous Improvement and Change methodologies, building core capability for the future.
- Understand the needs and behaviours of our customers and implement changes to help improve their experience
- Lead activity to deliver tools, process changes and enhancements to customer journeys
- Oversee operational management of key customer journeys from end to end and use data and customer insight to drive continuous improvement activity
- Maximise the return on investment from continuous improvement, creating a culture across HMRC Customer services which encourages and empowers people to make things better for the customer at the first point of contact
Leadership of a single approach to the provision of key shared operational services and ensure good quality and consistent service delivery.
- Lead the expert teams and shared operational services ensuring customer focus is at the heart of their work.
- Oversee the effective day to day running of HMRC’s live services, ensuring systems like PAYE, SA and NICs operate as expected and any interruptions to service are quickly resolved.
- Maximise the effectiveness of key business events including the Tax Credit and Self-Assessment peaks, coordinating activity across HMRC to ensure our customers get a high quality service.
Leadership as a core member of the Customer Services Group Senior Leadership Team and the wider HMRC leadership cadre
- Be a highly effective and inspirational leader, role modelling leadership behaviours and championing the Customer Services Group ‘be the best’ ambition
- Shape and influence Customer Services Group strategic direction and collaboratively work with colleagues to deliver
- Be accountable for efficiency and effectiveness of systems and processes that deliver HMRC services to the customer, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and minimisation of reputational damage.
- Act as an advocate for the development of capability and skills within HMRC, including Operational Delivery Profession, Digital Profession, and Programme and Project Management Profession
Leadership and management of a team of senior leaders and overall responsibility for c1200 people