The I&E (Instrumentation & Electrical) Engineer is responsible for the safe and efficient execution of I&E engineering and maintenance work within the refinery. This is accomplished through the coordination of several resources including maintenance supervisors, engineers, specialists, craftsmen, contractor personnel and required materials in support of daily maintenance activities and refinery driven improvements.
The I&E Engineer is responsible for developing short and long range plans for instrumentation and electrical equipment and systems that support the HSSE, availability, and financial goals of the refinery. He or she accomplishes through development and execution of
preventative maintenance, predictive maintenance, reactive maintenance support, and equipment & system upgrades. The I&E Engineer will be assigned a role supporting the electrical, instrumentation, or both disciplines at the refinery based upon the skillset of the engineer and needs of the maintenance and reliability department.
- Undertakes responsibility for discipline management of technical integrity.
- Directs critical activities requiring instrument and electrical knowledge and expertise.
- Provides daily technical support to multi-discipline, cross-functional asset team including I&E technicians and supervisors.
- Assists in scope development, planning, and execution of turnaround I&E activities.
- Provides technical input in determining priority and scope of equipment repairs.
- Leads root cause failure investigations for I&E related incidents.
- Analyzes equipment monitoring data and develops appropriate response to reliability issues.
- Reviews engineering projects and improvements to ensure compliance with refinery standards, regulatory codes, and other applicable industry standards.
- Completes engineering design and documentation for small refinery improvement and modification projects.
- Assists in developing and maintaining plant I&E engineering and I&E safety standards.
- Develops and manages reliability projects for refinery I&E equipment and systems.
- Prepares engineering datasheets, drawing, documents and material/equipment specifications.
- Reviews supplier data and witnesses shop tests, and writes material requisitions
- Directs the efforts of design engineering and construction contractors.
- Maintains the facility I&E data sheets, electrical one-line drawings, and jointly maintains the P&ID's with process engineering.
- Enforces the requirements of refinery electrical area classification drawings.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- 2 years of refining (or similar industry) experience with an engineering degree
- Experience working in an end-user/owner role in the refining (or similar) industry preferred