Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's) are identified by the Lubricants business as strategically important, both as existing customers as well as for organic and inorganic growth. The Key Account Business Development Manager (BDM) role develops business and provides Key Account Management for one or more national/international OEM's in North America. It also liaises with providing and receiving information and guidance with OEM sales people in other parts of the region and world. The role is responsible for taking ownership of developing new business and leading the successful development and implementation of account(s) strategy and offer development as defined by the business' OEM strategy. The role is also responsible for short and long term profitable growth associated with the assigned accounts, and requires business development, key account management, including sales skills, to secure profitable partnerships covering product development, first fill and aftermarket sales.
This position is field based with strong preference to be located in the Chicago area or East Coast, specifically in the states of New Jersey, Virginia or Maryland.
Manage/Develop Accounts Driving Profitable Commercial Relationships:
- With Global OEM Network develop and recommend to management multi-year strategic approach to assigned OEM's including objectives, fit with customer's strategy and objectives, likelihood of success and financial results.
- Develop, present and recommend individual short and long term account strategies and plans in region. In cases where BDM is asked to lead an International Key Account Management Team (IKAM), develop the global strategy and present to management with recommendations.
- Deliver annual plans by achieving targets set for each account and total portfolio.
- Develop strategic relationships with assigned OEM's/Key Accounts.
- Secure tactical OEM/Key Account business opportunities as appropriate and in line with region strategy.
- Where required, ensure appropriate linkage to Global Accounts team and other downstream businesses.
- Develop strong links into aftermarket sales teams both internal and external.
- Monitor and manage assigned OEM/Key Account activity and performance in region. In the event BDM is asked to lead global teams, monitor overall global performance and develop and recommend action plans required to achieve local and global objectives.
- Monitor competitor activity in marketplace account and recommend actions required to growth or defend business.
Specific Strategic Tasks:
- Lead the development of OU wide account plan by OEM by country for 3-5 years, including vision, objectives, key strategies, communication plan, tactics and milestones focused on growth opportunities and delivery of account penetration targets.
- Coordinate and integrate account(s) activity and initiatives in the region and take a leading role within the SPU for partner OEM/Key Accounts where assigned.
- Key inputs to Annual Plan, LBM and other processes. For US/Canada market, complete monthly forecasting and latest view submissions for first fill and parts warehouse shipments. For both LATAM and US/Canada, identify vulnerabilities and opportunities and develop action plans to mitigate the vulnerabilities and capture opportunities.
- Member of Region and Global networks. Purpose is to represent and drive to best interest of region and overall global success.
- Develop a detailed understanding of assigned accounts marketing, business development and technology plans and utilize this knowledge to commercialize and grow business while ensuring integration with the Regional and SPU strategies.
- Develop and manage key relationships with accounts developing a broad contact map.
- Share best practices, lessons learned and challenges across OU with respective key account teams, indirect sales managers, cross functional departments (GLT, Marketing, GSC, finance) and Global Account Management teams.
- Interface with the BP Global Account Management team as appropriate insuring progress is made at a quick and efficient pace.
- Provide input to Regional Key Account Director landing volume, profit, price and other targets as required.
- Recommend prices within agreed boundaries including justification, profitability, competitive activity and other environmental factors.
- Drive aftermarket sales where appropriate.
- Manage First Fill activity where appropriate.
- Manages financial risk of BP vis-à-vis customer's credit limits and policies.
Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.
- Minimum of 8 years of proven sales experience.
- Highly knowledgeable of industry trends and the OEM/Key Accounts value chain at all levels - often involved in industry networks.
- Large account management background.
- Ability to find and generate opportunities.
- Ability to think strategically, develop and execute short and long term account strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead complex, multi-layered negotiations.
- Proficient in spreadsheet and presentation software.
- Ability to work independently as a self-starter with high degree of attention to detail.
- Commitment to teamwork and continuous improvement and training.
- Demonstrate financial skills including reading and understanding financial reports, developing and analyzing basic financial models including Gross Margin, Net Margin and Return On Sales.
- Ability to lead cross functional internal account teams consisting of diverse people from all country clusters to develop strategic plan, achieve sales target and implement programs.