BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Lab Manager is accountable for the development and execution of the Whiting Refinery Lab quality and testing plans including compliance with Government regulations and BP requirements. This includes providing key leadership and building enduring capability of a large, highly specialized team of team leaders, represented technicians and contractors. The Lab Manager plays a key role in establishing an energized and engaged team while ensuring safe, compliant, and reliable operations of the Lab. This role is also a key member of the senior level leaders and can be a delegate for the Technical Manager.
* Accountable of the safe operation of the lab and its employees
* Develops and sets the strategic direction for 5+ years out for the Lab.
* Creates and implements a sustainable and optimized Lab quality program which balances quality, timeliness, and cost.
* Providing testing services for the refinery to support safe, compliant and optimized operation
* Leads a team of highly specialized leaders, represented technicians and chemists; responsible for the development and competency of staff. This includes helping ensure compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and creating a partnership with our union.
* Influences across all levels of the refinery including frequent interaction with refinery leadership as an extended member of the leadership team; provides strategic vision and direction to refinery leadership on quality performance including helping develop and deliver the refinery position on quality management.
* Strong engagement and leadership with the union as a key leader for discussions and negations related to the Lab.
* Accountable for developing and delivering recommendations to senior leadership on plans for risk mitigation. Accountable for the implementation of the applicable plan for risk mitigation.
* Champions quality both inside and outside of the site with strong partnership across BP to share best practices with other sites.
* Brings forth innovative ideas that impact the quality program and culture at the refinery.
* Builds relationships and develops a strong partnership with operations to engage in quality/Lab initiatives.
* Accountable for operation, maintenance and development of lab assets, including analytical equipment in South Tank Field
* Leads the development and application of related technologies.
* Owns the development and implementation of all Lab related procedures.
* Actively manages Lab performance through Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and conducts self-verification accordingly.
* Accountable for the Lab self-verification process and supports audits and external reviews.
* Accountable for the development and execution of the Lab budget for the refinery (e.g., annual spending and resourcing priorities).
* A member of the refineries senior level leader group and hence is accountable for overall refinery performance
* Assures ISO-9001 certification and Quality Management System are maintained for the laboratory.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required; prefer an engineering, technical, or science related discipline
* 10+ years of experience in manufacturing; prefer experience in a refinery or chemical plant setting
* Prior leadership experience with a proven track record of having an engaged and energized workforce