Laboratory Manager - Midrand
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Laboratory assistants are responsible for assisting the lecturers during the preparation and implementation of practical sessions. In addition laboratory assistants support the laboratory manager with regular procedures during the maintenance and operation of the laboratories and ancillary areas.
A summary of laboratory assistant duties is outlined below but is not limited to these responsibilities:
- Assist the practical lecturer with preparing for each practical session.
- Ensure that the practicals are performed safely by arranging and policing the use of personal protective equipment and engineering controls stipulated by the Module leader in the practical guide.
- Assisting the lecturer in enforcing discipline within the laboratory environment.
- Under the guidance of the lecturer, interact and assist students with meeting their learning outcomes in the laboratory.
- Maintain cleanliness and orderliness of the laboratory by overseeing housekeeping ensuring that all users leave the laboratories in an appropriate state for the next practical session.
- Maintaining records of weekly meetings with practical lecturers.
- Review all required practical material and associated literature at least one week in advance to ensure that preparations allow for optimal implementation of experiments.
- Assist with the maintenance of practical registers and allocation of students to workstations
- Assess the state of the laboratory by completing a weekly reviews.
- Perform inventory of assets, reagents, labware and consumables in preparation for the next semester’s practical modules.
- Reorganize and perform general housekeeping tasks at the beginning and end of each semester.
- Report all incidents to the Laboratory Management so that an appropriate intervention plan can be established.
Pearson is committed to the principles of employment equity and in accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act and subsequent amendments thereto.
- Successfully completion of a BSc: Biotechnology Management OR Biomedicine degree
- Ability to work as a constructive team member.
- Competency in basic computer processing skills (WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT).
- Experience within a science laboratory and ability to prepare reagents and operate scientific equipment.
- Intellectual capacity to plan, troubleshoot and implement laboratory activities independently.
- Proficient verbal and written English communication skills.
- Physical capacity to participate in day to day housekeeping activities which could include carrying heavy items, climbing ladders etc.
Primary Location: ZA-ZA-Midrand
Work Locations: ZA-Midrand-Alsation PI Glen Austin-Ext 3, 44 Midrand 1682
Job: Learning Delivery
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 13, 2018
Job Unposting: Jul 19, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1800698
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled