This position is part of a laboratory team that operates the asphalt and fuels laboratories in Naperville, IL. This team performs analytical testing of asphalt and fuel samples and also procures and sends samples as requested. Customers of the labs include the Technology Deployment and Product Development teams within GFT, Asphalt Sales, BP refinery laboratories, R&TE, Petrochemicals, and customers who purchase BP asphalt or fuels.
- Promote and maintain a safe and clean work environment, and adhere to regulations and BP policies within the framework of the Code of Conduct.
- Support new product development and quality assurance by procuring and analyzing samples from refineries, terminals, service stations, and customers as needed.
- Assist BP refinery laboratories, Asphalt Sales, R&TE, Petrochemicals, and new markets by running samples to verify correlated methods, resolve customer inquiries, or provide coverage if similar equipment is not operational.
- Provide samples as requested to Product Development, customers, round-robin organizations, accrediting authorities, and contract laboratories.
- Participate in both internal and external round robin programs and audits to monitor lab proficiency, take corrective actions as findings dictate, and maintain accreditation where applicable.
- Comply with site sample receiving and storage policies including entrees as required in the CIS system and keeping inventories under capacity limits.
- Complete Risk Assessments, Task Hazard Evaluations, MOCs, and SOPs as appropriate for new equipment or methods.
- Complete cross training to operate all testing equipment in both the asphalt and fuels laboratories.
- Generate monthly reporting of lab performance through the LIMS system.
- Maintain awareness of emerging testing technologies and participate in the capital planning process.
- Facilitate the development of technical service engineers by training and demonstrating safe and efficient laboratory techniques.
High School diploma/GED and 2 years of experience as a lab technician OR Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Physics or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory analytical techniques and equipment maintenance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of laboratory quality control (QC) techniques.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to gain respect of peers and work in a team to accomplish goals.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Capability to use a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Experience using spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software (MS Office Suite)
- Strong problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Valid driver's license with excellent driving record