The Lead Architect will be responsible for establishing and building a new architecture function for Borders IT – providing overall technology leadership at an enterprise level. This new function will span all existing and new programmes of work, ensuring governance, standardisation and technical integration across a large portfolio. Taking a holistic view this person will build the technical blueprint and overarching architecture strategy, looking for synergies, reusable services, connectivity and efficiencies across Borders IT.
Borders IT is a complex and fast moving environment, supporting systems that are nationally critical and that operate in secure environments.
The Home Office has a wide range of technology from Adabas to Hadoop. New systems are increasingly built in-house, using agile development techniques, open source and modern software practices.
The Lead Architect will play a critical role in building or buying the technology that will help the Home Office meet its business goals.
The scope of the role encompasses enterprise, business, application, data and security architecture.
The 5 portfolios within Borders IT are:
- Digital Permissions
- Digital Passenger Service
- Small Border Force Specific Projects
- Creating the architecture and technical road map.
- Cultivate strong relationships with a wide range of stake-holders across Border Force, as well as the wider Home Office Technology Architecture team.
- Perform gap analysis on current systems to recommend architecture, design and planning of complex custom software solutions or modifying package solutions, creating synergies across the function.
- Work with Border Force, and Home Office Digital Data and Technology Portfolio Office, and Finance partners to prioritize strategic projects.
- Provide architectural leadership to programs, projects and initiatives.
- Assist with the running and organization of the Technical Design Authority for Border Force.
- Represent Border Force, technical direction and decision making at the cross Home Office technical governance group.
- Provide technical leadership to promote wider join of technology and data across the wider Home Office group
- Act as the focal point for enterprise architecture and IT standards, working with colleagues across Home Office.
- Develop, communicate and deploy enterprise architecture governance processes.
- Build and manage a team of senior architects across different disciplines.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of setting up and managing an architecture function in a large, complex, regulated environment
- Good consulting and relationship management skills.
- Comprehensive and recent experience designing and implementing complex software systems including experience of architecting and building high-volume digital services
- Proven capability in managing technology implementation projects and in presenting to / working with stakeholders at every level of seniority with good inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrable track record of successfully taking an evolutionary architecture approach to software architecture
- Focused on strategic alignment of technical design and architecture to meet business growth and direction
- Knowledge of agile product management, in particular determination of vision, objectives, goals and success criteria
- Deep technical knowledge to provide technical authority to the architecture team and department:
- Experience with designing infrastructure for modern enterprise solutions
- Solid understanding of security architecture
- Experience with programming languages/frameworks
- Experience developing and using web-based APIs (especially REST-based APIs)
- Experience with open source solutions and community
- Experience using and deploying on Cloud based platforms
- Experience sharing knowledge and working in a multi-disciplinary team
Closing date for applications is 15th May. Full applications will require an accompanying covering letter and other forms.
Please contact McCabe & Barton for further information and a full candidate pack at email@example.com or on 0207 7963218
Candidates must be capable of holding Home Office Security Clearance and willing to be Developed Vetted (DV).