Lead Examiner (Specialist) - Apprenticeship -Trade Supplier
Closing date: 31 January 2019 at midnight
We are currently recruiting Lead Examiners for the following sectors:
Purpose of this role:
Be the responsible subject expert for tested unit assessment in terms of specification interpretation with the overall accountability for the accuracy and correctness of the assessments.
To provide support for the development, production, review and amendment of tested assessments by leading the team of subject experts.
The lead examiner will be required to:
- Set the questions and mark schemes for the question paper or approve those set by other examiners
- Ensure that all tests for which they are responsible offer a valid and reliable assessment.
- Ensure that the external assessments as a whole cover the assessment criteria, as set out in the specification, and satisfactorily sample the appropriate content
- Ensure that, over a reasonable number of years, the examination as a whole will address all the specification content
- Ensure parity across different test versions.
- Be the first point of contact for Pearson staff with technical queries
- Monitor the standards of and provide developmental feedback/support to item writers and technical editors
- Provide an assessment of writer/editor performance.
- Be involved in the awarding process, advise members on how the question paper functioned and where appropriate, recommend preliminary mark ranges for the judgemental grade boundaries for the question paper
- Seek to ensure parity of standards across optional questions in the paper and assist the Senior Lead Examiner in ensuring parity of standards across optional papers
- Report to and update the Senior Lead examiner/Principal Lead Examiner on the performance of the assessments for which they are responsible.
- Consult the Senior Lead Examiner and SSV/PSV to agree the interpretation of standards within their subject.
The lead examiner must:
- Keep up to date with changes in their sector
- Advise Pearson of any changes which could have an impact on test items
- Ensure all items provide a valid and fair test of achievement
- Edit new items and assist with the statistical analysis of test data
- Attend training in writing items for the prescribed specialist qualification
- Attend meeting(s) to review written tests.
- Attend awarding meetings as required
- Review amended items as necessary
- Respond to Pearson staff queries concerning technical issues with items.
- Reviewing test statistics and items provided and inform Vocational assessment of any issues
- Attend review meetings to review statistical data
- Provide alternative items where necessary to ensure appropriate amendments are delivered in a timely fashion.
- Support the Principle/Senior Lead examiner as required in the training, standardisation of marking for the allocated papers.
Previous Work Experience:
- You will hold a minimum of one year experience within the occupational field
- Substantial subject knowledge and expertise within the sector
- Evidence of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) in the field of assessment of vocational qualifications
- Experience of Analysing statistical data in relation to performance of tested items. Experience of advising and supporting others in the production tested assessment within the sector.
- Significant experience in delivering and assessing vocational qualifications
- Experience in the production of tested assessments within the sector
- Lower or higher level assessment and delivery experience across a range of qualifications
Skills and Knowledge:
- A clear understanding of the educational landscape and regulatory requirements for qualifications and apprenticeships.
- Detailed knowledge of the specifications that comprise the area of expertise for the role
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to edit materials to ensure they are fit for purpose
- Excellent communication, written, verbal, IT and interpersonal skills
- Ability to understand the implications of decisions taken on Pearson’s behalf and not to operate outside the sphere of responsibility defined within this job description
- Demonstrable people management skills
- Intermediate level skills in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Leading a team
Any associate undertaking this role must:
- Have personal IT equipment capable of running Pearson required software
- Have a suitable internet connection
- Have a personal and secure email account
- Have a postal address in the United Kingdom or Republic or Ireland
- Declare any conflicts of interest that could impact on the role
- Have availability, dependent upon the requirements and workload for the sector, in any given year
- Abide by the terms of conditions as stated in the contract for work
Welcome to Pearson, the world's leading learning company. We have a simple mission: to help people make more of their lives through learning. We are the UK's largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in names like Edexcel, BTEC, NVQ and LCCI
Note: Please indicate your most relevant Aviation or Travel experience in Step 4 Occupational. If you cannot see your sector listed, please contact the Recruitment team at associate.pearson.com