Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
Civil Service Pension
Locations: Bristol, London, Reading, Warrington, York Defra is the UK government department responsible for safeguarding our natural environment, supporting our world-leading food and farming industry,...
Locations: Bristol, London, Reading, Warrington, York
Defra is the UK government department responsible for safeguarding our natural environment, supporting our world-leading food and farming industry, and sustaining a thriving rural economy. Our broad remit means we play a major role in people's day-to-day life, from the food we eat, and the air we breathe, to the water we drink. Our Digital Data and Technology Services (DDTS) Function is currently undertaking a once in a generation Transformation as the UK moves towards exiting the EU. We are currently recruiting for a number of Software Developers in two of our Digital Hubs. You will be working on a number of meaningful projects in a challenging environment which continues to evolve as an exemplar in the DDAT Developer profession. Working in a supportive, diverse, and customer-focused culture our flexible working arrangements mean you can maintain a healthy work-life balance. You will play an important part in building a digital future for Defra and our customers. This means big changes to how our services and technologies are designed and delivered.
• Working within a team of motivated Software Developers the Lead Developer will communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders, and provide technical leadership within the team to identify the best technology and solutions.
• You will thrive and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team focused on one or more projects delivering high quality code in line with project goals and delivery cycles.
• You will be driven to making the government better, this may involve developing new concepts and challenging the status quo.
• Working in a multi-disciplinary team on a wide range of digital projects, you will be expected to use industry standard Agile methodologies such as Pair Programming and Test Driven Development (TDD).
• This role focuses on developing and implementing digital services across the Defra family. This will include involvement in developing business requirements and using an array of digital tools to progress project delivery.
• All our services are built upholding the GDS standards, some of our products require Government Digital Service (GDS) assessment at the end of each Agile development phase. Responsibilities
• Experience of agile development, software design patterns, Continuous integration, Test Driven Development and version control.
• Experience of working with web APIs.
• Demonstrable experience of delivering user focused products with a thorough understanding of software design principles.
• Good understanding of web security.
• Ability to deliver software that utilises the features of cloud platforms.
• Comfortable coding in the open using GitHub. Successful candidates should also be able to demonstrate the following personal attributes:
• Experience of leading a development team ensuring all developers on the team conform to good software practice and are producing high quality, well tested software.
• Experience of mentoring teams in order to grow their technical skills and create development opportunities. • Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
• Experience of advising on the right way to apply standards and methods.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proven experience balancing multiple priorities and dealing with ambiguity.
DISCLAIMER - **BY CLICKING APPLY YOU ARE REGISTERING YOUR INTEREST IN THE VACANCY ONLY. YOU MAY BE CONTACTED BY ONE OF OUR DEDICATED RECRUITMENT TEAM. ALL FORMAL APPLICATIONS WILL NEED TO BE SUBMITTED VIA CIVIL SERVICE JOBS**