Job Description – Leadership & Management Auditor
Reporting to: Professional Game Academy Audit Company (PGAAC)
Key relationships: Club staff across Premier League and EFL clubs relevant Premier League, EFL and FA staff, PGAAC Team and Barnardo’s
Location: Home-based with frequent travel to clubs.
The Elite Player Performance Plan is the overarching professional game strategy for the development of youth footballers in England. Under the plan, the Academies of professional football clubs are divided into four categories (1-4). This division is based on a combination of spend, infrastructure, staffing and qualitative assessments of their provisions across a range of multidisciplinary areas.
To effectively categorise Academies and to support the continual raising of standards in elite player development, an independent standards organisation has been developed (PGAAC), mandated by the professional game, to monitor safety, compliance and the quality of work being delivered.
The independent standards organisation oversees an interdisciplinary assessment of academies across Coaching, Education, Leadership and Management, Performance Support, Pathway, Player Care and Safe to Operate.
As part of the above, the Leadership & Management Auditor will be responsible for the auditing of Leadership & Management practices within Premier League and EFL Academies.
• Review and evaluation of Leadership & Management activities:
o Using the Academy Audit Company assessment framework, assess the quality of Leadership & Management provisions in Academies with Senior Club Officials, Academy Management, staff, players and parents.
o Accurately and fairly report findings, identifying areas of quality, risk and development.
o Manage the end-to-end auditing/quality assurance process, ensuring the operation runs as smoothly as possible for club and auditing team.
o Ensure a consistent assessment is given through regular communication and supporting colleagues to build ongoing reliability.
o To enhance processes to ensure the PGAAC team provide prompt and high-quality audits and responses to requests for information.
• General Responsibilities:
o Deliver club visits to ensure adherence with Safe to Operate guidelines and Youth Development Rules.
o Support the development of a suitable Academy standards framework and auditing practices.
o To take responsibility for Leadership and Management when preparing club assessments and planning and reviewing club reports.
o To attend team meetings and participate in team development/training.
o Ensure the auditing team maintains an up-to-date knowledge of Leadership & Management-related practice.
o Uphold the conduct and delivery standards of the Professional Game Academy Audit Company.
Requirements for the role
Skills and Abilities
• Interviewing skills and observational analysis
• A consultative approach
• Analytical ability to identify areas for improvement, perform root- cause analysis and convert findings into required actions
• Ability to see both the big picture and enabling detail
• Clear and concise written and spoken communication skills
• Ability to present written information in a structured and balanced way appropriate to the needs of the reader
• Strong time management and organisational skills
• High level emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
• Proven experience of a successful career at a leadership level in sport
• Previous experience in reviewing, assessing and developing Leadership & Management programmes at a strategic level
• Experience of working within elite sport in a leadership or management capacity
• High practical and theoretical understanding of Leadership & Management requirements in elite level sport (desirable: player development, football)
• Appropriate degree and / or relevant management qualification
• Understanding and appreciation of context and cultural difference between clubs of different sizes and philosophies
• Understanding and comfort in Quantitative and Qualitative assessment
Personal Attributes & Other Requirements
• High personal integrity and professional conduct
• A hunger for continued learning and continuous professional development
• IT literate
• Full driving licence as frequent travel will be required
• Safeguarding and Protecting Children
• DBS Clearance
Nice-to-haves for the role
• Postgraduate qualification
• UEFA ‘A’ Licence coaching qualification
• FA Advanced Youth Award
• Prior experience of working in an Academy of a professional football Club – Academy Manager, Head of Coaching, Lead Phase Coach.
• Prior experience of auditing/quality assurance
The Premier League, EFL, the FA are equal opportunities employers and welcome applications from all sections of the community. All appointments will be made based on merit.
To apply please email email@example.com with your CV and cover letter. The closing date for applications is Friday 31 July 2020.