Legal counsel within the equity derivatives and cash equities legal team which forms part of the Markets and Securities Services legal team.
The coverage business groups include all Desks which are responsible for the structuring, sales and trading of equity derivatives and cash equities products.
The role involves the provision of legal advice to and generally supporting the covered business groups as part of the wider Markets and Securities Services legal team.
The EMEA Legal division is a critical part of the Citi organisation and many of the processes within Citi. It provides a wide range of services, support and advice to many business areas, including general advice, transaction negotiation, document drafting and execution, as well as oversight of regulatory developments and requirements.
A key member of the Equities legal team whose responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Providing timely advice on legal and regulatory issues as an intrinsic part of the product development process;
- Advising on the sale, structuring and documentation of a wide range of derivatives products ranging from Delta 1 to volatility products and exotics, and including exposure to corporate equity derivatives and other strategic equity transactions;
- Liaising with and assisting the Middle Office team, including responding to queries, facilitating agreements negotiations with clients, drafting of documentation templates, etc.;
- Advising the cash equities electronic trading business including negotiating electronic trading agreements;
- Supporting the commission management services team, including reviewing and advising upon commission sharing agreements, introducing broker agreements and other commission management documentation;
- As required, considering and reviewing membership agreements in relation to exchanges, multi-lateral trading facilities;
- Negotiating brokerage agreements with third party brokers in various jurisdictions, particularly in the Emerging Markets;
- Participating in initiatives in the equity derivatives and cash equities space and projects generally;
- Enhancing and developing trading agreements, policies and processes;
- Developing bespoke documentation;
- Monitoring and advising on regulatory changes that impact the covered business areas;
- Participating in industry working group activities (e.g., ISDA, AFME);
- Dealing with queries from compliance on matters relating to EMIR, MAD/MAR, MiFID, FSA Handbook, FSMA 2000, etc.;
- Advising the business and working with the Legal Regulatory Group and Regulatory Reform group on developing regulatory initiatives including EMIR, MiFID2, MiFIR and MAR.
- Advising the Desk on the Volcker Rule, Desks’ trading mandates and Covered Funds issues.
- The role involves working on a broad and innovative range of product structures and business initiatives.
- The role also involves a high level of front office contact, particularly with Sales, Trading and Structuring, the Reg Implementation team and other control functions.
- A technically challenging and highly rewarding role with the opportunity for continuous personal development.
- Role requires an ability to take immediate control over current open issues and to resolve those issues within a reasonable time period.
- Role requires a person who is prepared to handle difficult discussions with senior trading management. On some occasions, the person holding the role may have to advise senior management that proposed activities are not possible or that current practices need to change.
- General capital markets, with an emphasis on derivatives/structured products and cash equities experience.
- Experience in private practice and/or in-house of structuring transactions and drafting documentation for complex derivative-based financial products as well as advising upon sales and trading and regulatory issues.
- Broad knowledge of financial services legal and regulatory issues.
- Excellent technical skills (including drafting skills), and analytical ability.
- Strong business judgement and commercial aptitude.
- Organisation skills.
- Good numeracy skills are advantageous but not a pre-requisite.
- Educated to degree standard with a legal qualification. In addition, the candidate should be well versed in financial markets law and practise.
- Good communication skills (both written and oral).
- Attention to detail.
- Planning and organisational skills.
- Ability to work both as part of a team and to proactively take individual responsibility for projects.
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success.
Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer