As a Manager of the Covert Structures Team your main responsibilities will include:
- To manage and advise on all NCA Covert Structures/Backstopping capabilities. To advise on operations in order to obtain information, intelligence and/or evidence in support of operations into complex serious and organised crime at both a national and international level. To provide key stakeholder support and guidance in digital and biometric threats to the UK/International Law Enforcement
- Oversee, manage and co-ordinate Covert Structures resources ensuring delivery of an efficient and effective covert capability, supporting activity against serious and organised crime in both a national and international environment in accordance with Agency objectives, HUMINT Business and Development Plans and/or in support of other law enforcement partners
- Supervise and lead a team of Covert Logistic Officers and support staff with specific considerations to their safety, security, welfare and development
- Manage day to day activity including allocated budgets, staff attendance, operational output and covert structures
- Working in collaboration with backstopping colleagues and other business partners to provide innovative solutions facing backstopping in the UK/International
- Supervise the transition of the UKPPS into a National Unit, by understanding the backstopping complexities of the 10 regional units coming under the control and guidance of the NCA
- To manage issues relating to the performance and conduct of officers in line with Agency values
- To coach staff, and provide guidance on development
- Oversee Health and Safety and ensure risk assessments are effectively implemented in line with Agency policy and safety legislation
You may be expected to work directly or indirectly in tackling child sexual exploitation and abuse. This may involve exposure to child sexual abuse material. You should consider the sensitive nature of the work before deciding to apply.
All officers working on or supporting this type of operational activity will undergo a psychological assessment on taking up the role and at regular intervals once in post.
By applying for this role you are confirming that you are willing to work on child sexual exploitation and abuse operations.
You will need to successfully complete SC Enhanced clearance before commencing the role and DV clearance within the first 12 months as part of your probation period.
You will also be required to undertake a mandatory pre-employment substance misuse test and achieve a satisfactory result.
If you want to make the UK a safer place, apply today. See the candidate information pack for more detail.
- Extensive knowledge Physical / Digital Back Stopping.
- PIP 2 Accredited or Equivalent.
- In depth knowledge of managing law enforcement investigations and criminal justice procedures including CPIA, PACE and RIPA
If you do not have PIP2 accreditation your answers to the below alongside your career history will be used to establish if you have the required PIP2 level experience. This evidence should have been attained within the last 12 months;
- Knowledge, understanding and awareness of how to obtain/conduct search warrants applying a range of legislation at Magistrates' and Crown Courts
- Knowledge and understanding of conducting arrests; competent and experienced at interviewing suspects (including knowledge of custody time limits/procedures, extensions and authorisations), and at use of bad character evidence, bail (if you have experience of completion of any serious and complex / advanced / specialist interview courses please include this)
- Competent and experienced at interviewing witnesses (please also state if you have experience of completion of any serious and complex / advanced / specialist interview courses, often known as Achieving Best Evidence (ABE), Tier 2 or Tier 3)
- Able to demonstrate knowledge and awareness around seizure of exhibits, continuity of evidence, and seize/ sift legislation, including experience in disclosure, and scheduling of material, including knowledge of Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act legislation (and any specific courses in relation to this)
- Experienced and competent in completing case files and in liaison with prosecuting agencies / authorities
Candidates are required to hold the following qualification/ accreditation:
- PIP 2 Accredited or Equivalent
If you do not hold this qualification please ensure you complete the Experience section of the application process. Please see the Candidate Information Pack for further details
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- National Insurance Number - Required for monitoring purposes only
- An extensive working knowledge of the UKPPS / NCA transition and the backstopping implications
- Experience of undercover investigations and/or the management and deployment of Covert Logistic Officers
- Demonstrable evidence of risk management