This position advises plant staff on matters concerning health, safety, security, and environment. The position consults and advises on matters affecting wildlife or the acreage surrounding the plant site and is responsible for directing personnel to administer and maintain company policies on environmental, safety, health and security issues while meeting local, state, and national programs for training and emergency response for site personnel. The incumbent keeps abreast of any new regulatory developments and how they impact the plant site. Has responsibility for development and assurance of HSSE compliance processes.
As a member of the site Leadership Team, this role contributes to the site strategy and has shared responsibility for site performance and bearing department-specific responsibility for the HS SE team. In addition, the HSSE manager is responsible for development and assurance of HSSE compliance processes.
The HSSE manager is a member of the Cooper River site Leadership Team sharing overall responsibility for site performance and bearing department-specific responsibility for the HSSE team, including process safety. In addition, the HSSE manager is responsible for development and assurance of HSSE compliance processes.
- Accountable for the overall leadership and delivery of HSSE performance of the site
- Develops strategy and plans to improve HSSE performance
- Responsible and accountable for ensuring that all HSSE regulatory and BP requirements have been properly identified and that effective processes are in place to ensure compliance.
- Manages external and internal HSSE relationships
- Evaluates HSSE capabilities in areas such as staffing, competencies, tools and processes, and then implements any necessary changes
- Establishes site and team performance goals
- Develop annual operating budget for department
- Actively participates in BU, SPU and segment networks to achieve jointly agreed upon goals and objectives.
- Assures that HSSE knowledge is adequately transferred including incident investigations, sharing of best practices, reporting of key issues and lessons learned.
- Ensures a risk based approach is in place for all HSSE related processes (such as risk assessments, mitigation/assurance plans)
- Contributing to the site’s strategy and agenda setting
- Executing plans aimed at people development, safe and reliable operations and compliant operations, continuous performance improvement
- Engaging in personal leadership development
- Oversee site Central HSSE Committee processOversee implementation of Operations Management System (OMS)
Four year degree in engineering, environmental science or other HSSE related field
- 10+ years progressively responsible experience in HSSE in Refining/Petrochemical Industry
- 5+ years overall HSSE responsibility for a site
- 10+ years supervisory, management or related leadership role
- Strong Process Safety knowledge and experience
- Proven record of sound judgment and effective decision making
- Experience dealing with external agencies and stakeholders (OSHA, EPA, Community)
- Effective leadership and influencing skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A successful record of establishing Key Performance Indicators to measure business processes
- Ability to engage, enrol, and partner with employees and teams to advance HSSE effortsExcellent in interpersonal and public relations skills