At bp, we 're reimagining energy and so could you. Working offshore at bp is the place to truly drive change. Our people develop hydrocarbon resources, deliver projects, operate refineries as well as oil and gas production assets. Join us and make a difference!
The Marine Technician - Ballast Control Operator (BCO) is primarily responsible for ballast and fluid transfer operations, while ensuring and maintaining the stability of the offshore facility by supervising other marine-related operations, utility and power systems, equipment, and environmental conditions.
- Responsible for marine operations and management, with particular attention to ballast and fluid transfer operations within the primary and support systems (vessel maneuvering, hull and deck management, lifting appliances, air, water, ventilation, utility, and emergency lifesaving equipment and systems).
- Ensure stability of the facility by completing weight shift and center of gravity calculations based on weight changes
- Provide marine input to projects and turnaround (TAR) preparation as required
- Comply with Guidance on Certification (GoC), as required, for all maintenance work prior to operation
- Collaborate with functional support, as required, to highlight potential process safety and operational optimization issues
- Have an awareness of performance standards and their relevance to marine operations, maintenance and performance requirements
- Ensure all data relating to topside/subsea equipment, including defects, is recorded Complete operation routines to schedule and plan the appropriate procedure.\
- Ensure ad-hoc vendors & visitors adhere to safety standards through Control of Work procedures.
- Monitor, reorder and track supply levels of utility systems, critical spares and materials.
- Understand and align with the Management of Change (MoC) process for all procedural, equipment or process changes as needed
- Ensure shift and crew-change handovers are accurately recorded in the appropriate log and in compliance with the Guidance on Shift Handovers
- Act as member of the emergency response team and align with the responsibilities assigned as defined in the Emergency Response Plan
- Participate in emergency response exercises to ensure a full understanding of the process and procedures.
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of a 2 - 4-year apprenticeship program or technical degree within core craft
- Must possess and maintain a USCG BCO license or possess or be capable of acquiring a BCO license within 3 months of employment meeting USCG Code of Federal Regulations.
- 3 or more years' experience in petrochemical industry, manufacturing, or military experience; including at-sea (offshore) experience.
- Must possess a TWIC Card (Transportation Workers Identity Card)
- Strong health, safety, environmental and regulatory compliance record
- Experience influencing project teams and contractors
- Experience in working with engineers and multi-discipline teams or military experience with a military occupational specialty / rate in a related field.
- Experienced in simultaneous operations involving production and construction activities, or military experience in maintenance and operations.
- Comfortable riding in a helicopter or boat over Gulf of Mexico waters for extended periods and be transferred to/from a boat via personnel basket swung by a crane with or without reasonable accommodations
- Knowledge of P&IDs, C&E Chart, Safety Flow Diagram, SafeChart, basic electrical safety
Other requirements (eg. Travel, location)
- Willing to work 12- hour shifts on rotation 14&14 shift offshore in the Gulf of Mexico
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at ; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement