The JBC are looking to recruit a permanent Head of Domestic Assessment to lead our work assessing the ongoing COVID-19 risk within the UK and disseminating that across government.
The role is a permanent role, however is also available on a Fixed Term Appointment of 6-12 months, as well as secondment. The successful candidate will be able to select their preferred contract from those advertised.
The Head of Domestic Assessment for the Joint Biosecurity Centre is a varied and challenging senior leadership role. As one of the key members of the JBC’s senior leadership team, you will be right at the heart of the UKHSA’s ambitious agenda to help the country get back to a more normal way of life beyond COVID-19 and establish itself for the long term to protect us from other known, and as yet unknown, threats.
The Deputy Director oversees a broad programme of work including:
• Maintaining the UK COVID-19 Alert Level, providing advice to the four Chief Medical Officers on a weekly basis.
• Working across the health system and with Cabinet Office to bring together assessment and evidence for the four tests laid out in the Roadmap. These processes involve analysing the impact of changes in non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs), the vaccine rollout and new variants in the UK.
• Assessing changes in COVID-19 infection, hospitalisation and death rates across the country, producing situational updates to analyse drivers of risk and how these relate to the demographic characteristics of local areas.
• Working closely with regional and local partners across UKHSA, DHSC, PHE and NHS Test and Trace to synthesise information such as testing, mobility and vaccination data into assessments which support decision making at the weekly Health and Social Care Secretary chaired Local Action Committee meetings, and at other key senior groups.
• Collaborating with national and regional teams across the health sector on products and information on risks in key sectors and leads projects on understanding the drivers of transmission.
You will be expected to collaborate across the JBC to commission and build on the strengths of the other directorates, and work closely with the devolved administrations, to meet shared priorities.
The Head of Domestic Assessment will be a member of the newly forming UKHSA analysis community and be required to work closely with DHSC colleagues to ensure maximum collaboration and learning can be shared across the departments, and wider public health and emergency response communities.
To be successful in this role you will need to be an experienced manager and leader of a team.
• Use and application of professional analytical skills to address real issues or problems (lead sift criteria).
• Leadership (lead sift criteria).
• Experienced in working with complex and fast-paced data and information feeds within a relevant field (such as health, emergency planning, biosecurity or national security).
• Experienced at commissioning and conducting assessment of quantitative and qualitative analysis from partner teams and organisations.
• Proven experience working in a policy environment, providing timely analysis for decision-makers, with ability to command the confidence of Ministers and senior officials.
• An in-depth knowledge of the user application of analytical capabilities for strategic decision making.
• Good track record in programme and project delivery, with the ability to role model good management practice and work effectively on a wide range of delivery partners on complex programmes.
• Proven experience of assessment of health information and ideally, understanding of genomics or health security.