At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson Core operates around 2,000 regulated and self regulated qualifications internationally, including A levels, GCSEs and BTECs. Underpinning these qualifications are assessments - internal and external that we deliver throughout the year.
The Standards and Assessment Design teams are dedicated specialists who secure appropriate standards in assessments to issue millions of results to learners, after seeking out and implementing best practice in transformational assessment design.
The Operations Officer post is primarily concerned with ensuring the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Standards and Assessment Design teams to support key business activities, often according to tight timeframes.
- To manage the administration of a specialist training programme for the teams, working with team members to coordinate, publicise and track completion.
- To coordinate, facilitate and manage the scheduling of awards for VQ and GQ portfolios of qualifications, across on-demand and series-based offers, working closely with key stakeholders to ensure congruence with operational activities.
- To generate a cohesive way of monitoring progress of awarding activity, tying into other Management Information (MI) generated from the business to ensure full visibility.
- To provide project management support to the Accreditation and Standards Senior Management Team, including administration of team meetings, reporting activities to the rest of the business and to assist on bespoke projects as required
- To agree a plan of work for validity audits with the Heads of Academic and Vocational Standards and Assessment Design.
- To To coordinate the Accreditation & Standards team contributions to the PEL board reporting activity
- To represent Pearson UK at external conferences and working collaboratively with representatives of other awarding organisations as appropriate
- To manage and maintain the Standards and Assessment Design NEO pages, to allow easy use by wider teams. Regularly reviewing all documents located on the pages are relevant, up to date and accessible for the right stakeholders.
- To achieve all tasks and objectives within agreed budgets and other management parameters.
Within the ever changing landscape of education, it is essential that the Accreditation and Standards Team keep abreast of the demands that accompany this change
Key challenges include:
- Reacting positively to change
- Working collaboratively across the business
- Intense internal and external scrutiny of process and decisions
- Identifying practices that do not adhere to the high quality expectations of the business and influence change by working with stakeholders to restore integrity
- Reporting to Senior Management
- Working in a fast paced environment with competing demands
- Contributing to the development of IT systems as required
- Flexibility of working patterns during peak periods
- Attention to detail even with repetitive tasks
- Planning and reporting using management information
- Adopting a constructive and positive approach to influence others.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Degree or Equivalent
- Education or assessment experience
- Numerate with good report writing/communication skills
- An understanding of assessment and awarding processes and knowledge of regulatory frameworks is desirable.
- Strong project, stakeholder and process management skills.
- The ability to balance multiple sources of information and viewpoints to make and support decisions that ensure the operational efficiency and effectiveness of key processes, with quality in mind.
- Strong IT skills and the ability to use and manipulate data with confidence.
- Strong Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Influencing skills and the ability to build rapport with colleagues across teams and at different levels of seniority.
Pearson Profile Competencies
- Makes decisions in the context of data, policy changes and education/assessment research
- Challenges ways of thinking and doing and is open to challenges from others.
- Asserts own position and ideas with confidence and enthusiasm.
- Makes decisions even when there is ambiguity or uncertainty.
- Addresses and resolves conflict directly and constructively.
- Treats people honestly and with compassion, regardless of level, personality or background, and expects others to do the same.
- Identifies and resolves ethical issues.
- Follows through on commitments and expects others to do the same.
- Sets high standards of performance for self and others.
- Creates a sense of urgency to achieve results.
- Demonstrates composure (e.g. calm and self control) and resilience under difficult or challenging circumstances.
- Develops a clear understanding of customer needs to anticipate their requirements and expectations.
- Proactively seeks feedback from customers to continually improve products and services in line with the brand
Makes it happen
- Understands that there are different ways to make decisions according to the complexity and urgency of the situation.
- Brave, Decent , Imaginative, Accountable
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 14, 2019
Job Unposting: Nov 17, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1914399
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.