The Process Optimization Engineer's role is to provide constant focus
and leadership on refinery optimization troubleshooting, and support
the Production Planning work processes. The role's key focus area is
to develop and lead a prioritized list of constraints and opportunities to
drive continuous improvement of commercial performance in the
refinery. The role requires the process optimization engineer to work
across the organization to gain alignment on execution of these
This role serves as the primary interface between the Process
Engineers and Production Planning team for information sharing, option
evaluations, and data flow in support of the optimization process. They
support the maintenance of Process Models, applying simulation
expertise to provide technical evaluations of process issues and identify
optimization opportunities for increasing process unit margin capability
and to troubleshoot process units to minimize margin loss. He/she will
maintain and update the refinery process unit capabilities which
underpin the commercial tools (principally the refinery LP, daily plan
and scheduling tools) to enable high quality forward planning decisions
for the longer term. He/She will support the commercial delivery
process and work closely in support of the LP team lead. He/She is
accountable for LP accuracy and for development/prioritization of
improvement opportunities for the LP in support of the LP developer.
The makeup of the team is intended to be diverse, and include people
with a skill set which includes as many of these skills as possible:
Process engineering, process control, operations, production planning,
IST, and Fuels NA.
- Works effectively across functional areas to ensure alignment on priorities and timing. Understands the overall site organization and how to interact effectively. Communicates information so that it is timely and relevant.
- Actively participates in teams, shares information and offers advice and encouragement to others in support of the best results. Effectively transfers work related knowledge to other team members.
- Demonstrates personal excellence regarding bp values and behaviors.
- Networks with other refinery and manufacturing sites to leverage resources and share best practices. As requested, actively participates in CoP's or CoI's.
- Recognizes process and compliance risk and opportunities to control and mitigate risks. Strikes an appropriate balance between refinery optimization and safe, compliant operation.
- Engages with Process Engineers for unit data to ensure delivery of LP accuracy. He/she feeds back commercial constraints and opportunities to the Process Engineers to highlight the value of optimization efforts across the site.
- He/She supports the continuous improvement of the LP, and supports the evaluation of improvements to the sites other blending and scheduling tools including Orion.
- Manages multiple projects, uses effective time management techniques. Develops and implements plans for ongoing projects.
- Responsible for knowing refinery unit process operation, major operating envelopes, process capabilities, and overall limitations/constraints; can identify when changes in operating modes or feed slates will impact overall plant or individual units.
- Uses fundamental engineering knowledge and simulation/modeling to understand unit availability, optimization opportunities, and assist in unit troubleshooting. Recommends changes to operating practices to improve overall unit performance.
- Obtains unit process data from various refinery systems, including but not limited to, PI, LIMS (lab system), DCS and field (pressure surveys, etc.) for use in troubleshooting, optimizing, and projects.
- Acts as primary interface with lab(s) to request data/tests as needed to analyze process streams.
- Actively supports the maintenance of unit process models and other predictive tools (material balances, heat exchanger fouling, catalyst and filter media performance, tower simulations, HYSYS, kinetic models, etc.) and uses to evaluate equipment performance and potential physical modifications. Works closely with the Refinery Technology (RT) group in the development the Simulation technologies and Process Model improvements, including calibration and ongoing maintenance of the models. Accountable for training and mentoring engineers in the use and application of process models.
- Understands distillation systems and other separation processes, including design, column internals, control principles, optimization, troubleshooting and inspection. Identifies problems within discipline and resolves them.
- Applies catalyst and reaction/reactor theory and methodologies to optimize and troubleshoot reactor performance.
- Required: BS in Engineering
- Preferred: BS in Chemical Engineering
- Maintains knowledge and applies fundamental engineering principles to exchangers, fired heaters, pumps, compressors, etc. to optimize, troubleshoot, and evaluate performance.Develops/initiates ideas for optimization and business performance improvements within the CVP framework. Provides necessary basic engineering design data, preliminary process design, scope, and economic evaluation necessary for project development. Assists teams in the development of information necessary for funds appropriation.
- Able to aid Unit Process Engineers with monitoring unit performance against the current plan (both short and long term), communicates when not operating per plan, articulates reasons why, and assists in the development of future operating plans that support refinery goals.
- Facilitates and develops execution plans for test runs, including obtaining necessary field samples and data. Ensures that all MOC, PSM and HSSE requirements have been satisfied.
- Summarizes and communicates learning and future actions in a written report.
- Minimum 5 years total experience in Process Engineering, Process Control, Operations and/or Production Planning. Sound knowledge of technical discipline.
- Familiarity with a PIMS LP model or Orion / MBO scheduling tool, experience in Supply or R< functions