Our Pensions and Employment (P&E) practice is led by 4 partners and currently has 25 associates, 4 trainees, 4 PSLs and 2 paralegals.
The Pensions team works within the broader Pensions and Employment Group. The team provides some of the most complex and innovative pensions advice to UK and International clients, handling all aspects of Pensions law affecting their business and transactions. In line with the firm’s multi-specialist approach, there will also be opportunities to undertake employment law work, particularly in the context of corporate transactions.
The role will include a mixture of transactional and advisory work so might suit a corporate or other commercial lawyer with some pensions exposure, who would like to make a transition.
Role and responsibilities:
- advising and amending schemes to reflect new law and practices
- advising on public and private M&A (acquisitions, disposals, IPOs, mergers, privatisations, reconstructions, demergers) where significant pension liabilities including pre Closing pension restructuring
- advising on restructuring and refinancing corporates with significant pension liabilities
- advising on pension scheme mergers
- structuring and implementing benefit change
- putting in place PPF contingent assets
- drafting bulk purchase annuity policies
- negotiating funding agreements
- attending trustee meetings
On matters such as these, your roles and responsibilities will be wide-ranging, but will in particular include:
- advising on pensions and employment law aspects of public and private M&A
- drafting transaction and pensions constitutional documentation
- managing discrete parts of transactions, including engaging directly with the client and other advisers/parties and leading teams of fee earners
- researching and advising on bespoke areas of law and producing notes of advice.
Key skills and attributes:
- Appropriate level qualification (we anticipate between 0-5 PQE, preferably in a City or leading international firm, but we will consider all applicants)
- Experience of advising on the practical application of Pensions law (but we will also consider candidates with experience of other relevant practice areas)
- Strong academic background (2:1 or higher at degree level) and a demonstrable high level of intellectual rigour
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- First rate drafting skills
- Be prepared to provide exceptional service to clients
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.
Location: City of London
Salary and benefits package: Competitive
Closing date for all applications: 04/01/2019
Please note that any offer of employment with the firm is subject to the firm receiving a satisfactory report in respect of the successful candidate from its third party screening and vetting agency.