The Performance and Learning Superintendent is responsible for monitoring and developing the strategies, systems, tools and processes to drive systematic and consistent HSSE improvements across the site. Through analysis and monitoring of leading and lagging HSSE KPIs, and incident learnings, this role initiates a proactive approach to drive the Whiting site to best in class HSSE performance. This role interfaces directly with the other HSSE functional leads (Safety, Environmental, etc.) to assure a consistent message and approach to improving the underlying HSSE business. This position is part of the HSSE Leadership Team and as such is expected to participate and understand business issues and contribute to direction setting and WBU Leadership in general.
- Provides overall assurance regarding HSSE performance, risks and delivery.
- Provides functional leadership through coach and mentoring in support of driving HSSE excellence across the site.
- Takes responsibility for achieving challenging HSSE goals.
- Understands business issues and contributes to direction setting.
- Maintains external relationships and participates in external networks for the purpose of imbedding HSSE learning's.
- Develops short and long-term strategies and plans for improving HSSE performance across the site
- Drives HSSE performance management by developing tools for trending and analysis, and assuring accurate reporting.
- Monitors HSSE performance and direct the development of programs for improvement.
- Provides insights to address emerging risks and to build HSSE capability in the line.
- Assimilates complex and ambiguous data to identify key issues and aid in decision making.
- Shows awareness of the impact of actions on individuals.
- Maintains external perspective by comparing performance to peers outside of WBU
- Reduces business risk by fostering a culture of learning from incidents and developing functional capability in this area by providing leadership, direction and coaching.
- Drives and embeds continuous improvement principles when developing, and or improving HSSE processes and when executing HSSE programs to systematically and consistently improve our HSSE performance.
- Systematically determines the root cause(s) of problems through questioning and inspecting, and then identify the best course of action to take.
- Maintains relationships with key stakeholders (e.g. Joint Union/Management Health & Safety Committee, Learning Forum) in support of our business goals, BP values and behaviors.
- The position provides oversight to deliver performance for OMS 2.4 Organizational Learning and OMS 4.4 Incident Management
- Bachelor's Degree in an engineering/technical and/or safety discipline
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in demonstrated and effective leadership in a management function.
- A minimum of 5 years of petrochemical experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience with demonstrated knowledge of the HSSE function.
- A strong understanding and working knowledge of HSSE policies, procedures, standards and practices (i.e., legislation and regulation)
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and developing others and fostering effective relationships throughout an organization.