Platform Security Architect - Qualifications
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson are a leading innovator in Qualification management systems, with several million learners worldwide engaged in studying for and sitting examinations in our nationally recognised and regulated qualifications. These are highly sensitive examinations that demand a risk based and transparent security controls.
The Core Platforms Security Architecture team is responsible for embedding and delivering security into major transformation programs across the Pearson enterprise. This team identifies security risks, prioritises delivery of security controls, develops security architectures, evangelises security, develops security roadmaps and acts as the primary CISO representative within major programs. This is a senior lead technical role.
As a direct report to the Director, Security Engineering (with dotted line responsibilities to the VP, Information Technology Security Officer), you will have the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with functional-area architects, engineering, and security specialists to ensure adequate security solutions and controls are in place throughout all IT systems and platforms to mitigate identified risks sufficiently, and to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements;
- Assess and understand Pearson’s current security posture and future architecture, providing recommendations for improvement and risk reduction;
- Develop the business, information, and technical artifacts that constitute the enterprise information security architecture and solutions;
- Serve as a security expert in application development, database design, network and/or platform (operating system) efforts, helping project teams comply with enterprise and security policies, industry regulations, and best practices;
- Drive strategic programs for encryption such as encryption at rest technologies for critical business units in compliance with GDPR, SOX and PCI.
- Researches, designs, and advocates new technologies, architectures, and security products that will support security requirements for the enterprise and its customers, business partners, and vendors;
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of the information security strategy;
- Evaluates and develops secure solutions, based on approved security architectures;
- Analyses business impact and exposure, based on emerging security threats, vulnerabilities and risks;
- Designs and builds controls to address security risks and events as identified;
- Communicates, drives accountability and manages to closure security risks and solutions with business partners and IT staff;
- Designs security configuration guidelines for information technology devices and systems, as well as mechanisms for assessing compliance with the guidelines;
- Embrace a culture of continuous service improvement and service excellence; and
- Stay up to date on security industry trends.
Skills and Experience
- 9 years in Information Security space;
- Strong experience with security strategy, with a passion to make security realistic, achievable and interwoven with the business fabric;
- Strong experience with cloud provider ecosystems, including Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure;
- Strong experience in Application Security, with deep experience of OWASP ASVS, Secure SDLC processes and Microservices;
- Strong experience with a broad range of security technologies, including NextGen Firewalls, DLP, NAC, IDS/ IPS, IdAM, Certificate Management, SIEM, Endpoint Protection, Anti-malware and vulnerability management;
- S_ trong_ experience designing and implementing encryption solutions such as PKI and encryption at rest technologies.
- Strong oral, written, and presentation abilities -able to convey risk to all levels of the business, from C-level executives to operations and development teams;
- Strong experience in migrating enterprise companies from traditional data center infrastructure, application and data designs to hybrid or fully-cloud enabled practices.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to build business cases for technology initiatives and to effectively communicate the value proposition to non-technical stakeholders.
- Some proven ability in security process and organizational design including ITIL;Current understanding of Industry trends and emerging threats.
- Well-rounded background in network, host and database security;
- Experience implementing security controls in an enterprise IT environment;
- Experience driving a culture of security awareness
- Experience administering network devices, databases, and/or web application servers;
Competencies and Behaviours
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to identify areas of focus and tackle new challenges with or without direction.
- Ability to work within a dynamic and fast paced international environment
- Ability to build rapport with other team members and relevant teams
- Very good communications, presentation and negotiations skills
- Technically innovative
- Able to express technical and non-technical concepts in clear verbal and written English
- Very good written skills to document complex concepts in a comprehensive, yet readable manner
- Encourages people to be open and share their views
- Considers a range of options that meet the needs of all stakeholders
- Ability to use own initiative to solve technical problems
- Delivery Focused
- Takes responsibility for projects and strategic initiatives
- Demonstrate clear and measurable results through the development of KPIs, goals and milestones
- Drive innovation and best practice
- Strive for standardization and simplification in all aspects of work
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Other Locations US-CO-Centennial, US-TX-San Antonio
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 27, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809660
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.