The GBS Policy and Strategy team helps set the direction for the wider GBS Business Unit, acting as an enabler, co-ordinator and challenge function while promoting and defending CO interests across and outside government. The post-holder will work across the whole of GBS, providing a central co-ordinating hub that provides a link between the expert services provided to Senior stakeholders, CO and Ministers.
The post-holder will manage a small team to cover briefing and presentations, and be accountable for deploying their team to achieve delivery of key responsibilities. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills, political understanding and judgement of key priorities and messaging, balancing the needs of contributors and audiences. Developing and maintaining an excellent briefing, coordination and influencing hub is central to the role, working closely with all lines of the business to prepare, often at pace, papers and briefing for senior officials and Ministerial meetings.
The post-holder will be an active member of the GBS SMT, challenging and supporting SCS colleagues to strengthen the identity and purpose of the Business Unit by actively listening to all parts of the Group through the coordination of our engagement channels. They will play a convening role across the teams, surfacing difficult issues that require attention and working with colleagues to devise and implement solutions.
- Overall accountability for preparing high quality briefings and presentations for Senior Stakeholders, Ministers, OGDs, CO ExCo, cross-government groups on GBS related matters
- Leadership of and developing the capability of the Briefing Team
- Ensuring that GBS provides a consistent message across the various governance structures it reports to, including GSSB, CSOB and the COO Network etc.
- Building close and effective relationships with Ministerial teams internally and senior leaders, developing a strong, collaborative approach and ensuring a healthy and successful commissioning relationship to capture the range of issues and associated impacts on GBS.
- Experience of building and maintaining effective senior stakeholder relationships and networks and the ability to operate at a senior level
- Proven ability to lead, manage and organise teams and manage competing pressures in a complex and fast paced environment across multiple locations
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (briefing, reports and presentations), allied to sound political judgment, and providing briefing to senior levels on highly complex policy and delivery issues to high quality standards
- Confidence operating flexibly with a significant level of ambiguity, resilient under pressure and effective in a complex and high-pressure change environment
- Recent experience of working with Ministers, private offices and Senior officials
- Experience of developing strategy and supporting delivery.