Principal Cloud DevOps Engineer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
You are a motivated software engineer who is passionate about architecting, building at scale on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and defining how hundreds of engineers can be productive on AWS.You will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining automation tools to provision, deploy and manage the Next Generation learning platform.You thrive at simplifying hard problems and can articulate the solution to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
You know there are tradeoffs between short-term productivity and long-term vision for the team, while being pragmatic about it. You are an expert in AWS services, DevOps tools and Cloud Infrastructure (DNS, Networking, VPC, EC2, Lambda, CloudFormation, Cloud security, etc..) and closely follow enhancements in AWS.You will work closely with Site Reliability Engineers to build awesome automation solutions that are highly reliable, resilient, and extendable.
- Providing technical leadership, deep technology expertise and architecture experience.
- Provides hands-on technical design and implementation ensuring technologies are successfully incorporated into our environments
- Designs and defines AWS architecture for new cloud computing systems or existing systems migrating to cloud architectures.
- Performs expert-level systems AWS development and design work that may include logical system design; I/O design; cloud architecture analysis and design; and systems engineering.
- Develops technical roadmaps for future AWS cloud implementations.
- Ensures security is integrated into all cloud architecture solutions.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to other systems engineers
- Design, test, certify and document new cloud services, environments and systems.
- Collaborate with business units to help architect, configure, monitor, and support their services.
- Follow industry trends and build proof of concepts leveraging new cloud services.
- Advanced knowledge of cloud technologies and cloud infrastructure, including networking, VPCs, VGWs, DNS. AWS preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of industry standard DevOps tools (CI/CD, GoCD, Git, scripting, Gradle, Maven, Chef, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Familiar with Micro-service architectures. Decoupled systems and how to build them
- Automate all things by default, believe and practiced CI/CD best practices
- Solid understanding of cloud computing design and security principles.
- Detail-oriented, with excellent analytical, technical and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with software development projects from documentation, task management through delivery.
- Coding skills in Python. PHP. Or another interpreted language like perl or ruby
- Familiarity with general monitoring principles, as well as tools like Zabbix. New Relic. AppDynamics etc.
- Experience writing technical documentation for a technical audience.
- Strong commitment to customer service and service enablement.
- Ability to communicate effectively with end-users, business owners, developers, managers and site reliability engineers.
- Bachelors in Engineering with 8 years of relevant experience or Masters in Engineering with 6 years of relevant experience (e.g. example former roles may be principal software developer, or senior systems architect, or a combination of the above with respect to the following technologies: AWS, Linux, Puppet/Chef/Ansible, network and routing protocols, etc.)
- 3 years of demonstrated experience in designing and developing complex distributed IT solutions (e.g. cloud, distributed systems or high-performance computing experience)
- Solid experience with Cloud CI, Dockers, Kubernetes and Containerization is required.
- Demonstrated passion for infrastructure as code, continuous improvement, and a "can do" attitude.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Self-starter, able to work solo and part of a cross functional team
- 3 years’ experience in operations management tools. Alerting & Monitoring, Provisioning & Deployment, Configuration Management and Source Control, etc.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate required
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional preferred
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CA-San Jose
Work Locations: US-CA-San Jose-303 Almaden 303 Almaden Boulevard Suite 500 San Jose 95110
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 9, 2017
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1717941