Principal MAC Services Engineer
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
We are searching for a passionate Macintosh technology leader. You are already a seasoned veteran leading the Apple, macOS and Mac ecosystem in a large enterprise, a subject matter expert and are ready to be the responsible service leader within Pearson.
You will use your proven track record of cultivating professional relationships across key stakeholders and be working tirelessly with our global business units, technology, engineering and security teams, to distill and document Pearson’s requirements and be responsible for strategies leading Pearson to adapt to changing and emerging technologies for, and impacting the platform.
You will lead the service design, and are critical to the service transition into our operations. You have a creative approach to devising new solutions and enhancements, are the key to managing the technical roadmap, driving technology adoption, meeting business and security demands.
As a key member of our team, you bring your proven history of managing strong relationships with Apple (and 3rd party Macintosh related technologies), have insight to future changes and directions, and will be Pearson’s advocate influencing Apple and other vendors towards our business requirements.
Critically, you will integrate our Macs into our Microsoft 365 infrastructure and will deliver continuous improvements to our Mac management platforms and services, ensuring that we deliver a great user experience.
- Strategic service leader, managing the technical design, delivering features and services through the total lifecycle for the Mac platform; responsible for Macintosh technical roadmaps that align with Pearson’s vision
- Proactive in building positive relationships across Pearson including engaging effectively with our business and technical stakeholders to effectively communicate risk, opportunities and challenges, to ensure the success of project and change initiatives.
- Work with the wider Pearson organizations in CISO and Enterprise Architecture to align the platform to the Target Architecture and facilitate integration with other components of the architecture.
- Responsible for Apple technologies across the organization and building effective strategic relationships with Apple and related technologies, in all aspects including engineering, Alliance and other relationships. You represent Pearson and influence our vendors to meet Pearson’s objectives.
- Responsible for the total cost of ownership for the platform and driving to the most efficient costs.
- Ensure appropriate and effective communication and coordination with other members of Pearson Technology Operations and clients in the business areas. Chair our Macintosh Engineering Group, driving strong, positive collaboration with operations teams.
- Technical point of escalation for major incidents in the service, providing input to operations teams to resolve complex problems or incidents, and ensure root causes are addressed in the architecture where necessary.
- Integrate macOS management with our enterprise Microsoft technology management stack
- Produce high quality artifacts used by engineering and operations teams to effectively build and support the platform.
- Create and maintain operating system builds, equipment standards and supporting documentation for operation teams and users.
- Monitor usage and other technical data from the platform to inform design changes.
- Align policies to meet our security and business requirements
- Effectively train, improve and develop the capabilities of the appropriate resolver teams.
- Responsible for continuous service change management, including critically, the training and hand off of administrative and operational accountability to appropriate resolver teams.
- Implement our technology strategy into deliverables, drive continuous improvement and automation, while ensuring a stable and secure service.
- Manage risk in operating Apple technologies, along with providing input to performance, supportability, security, change, etc to cross functional areas and teams
- Lead global projects and change initiatives delivering to agreed strategy, timescales and cost.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Technical Skills and Abilities (Minimum):
Expert level of experience and in-depth technical knowledge of designing, engineering and delivering global End User Macintosh service solutions in an ITIL managed environment with more than 2k managed endpoints.
In-depth technical knowledge and at least 10 years experience of:
- macOS and Apple hardware
- JAMF Pro service design and build expertise
- Microsoft 365, InTune integration and Conditional Access
- Apple DEP and self provisioning
- macOS builds
- L3 technical support and root cause analysis.
- Linux RedHat or Centos
- Antivirus endpoint security solutions, Symantec Endpoint Protection or equivalent
- Large scale application deployments and customisations for Mac environments
- Scripting Bash, Python, Perl or equivalent and XML
- GIT versioning control
- JSON, REST APIs
- ITIL adept
- User Acceptance Testing design and delivery
Technical Skills and Abilities (Desirable):
Preference would be given to candidates with one or more of the following skills and experiences in a large enterprise:
- XCode, Swift
- Azure, Azure Active Directory, DNS binding
- Multi-factor Authentication
- Privilege Management systems, Avecto Privilege Guard or equivalent
- Jira, Service Now
- Commanding professional and influential written and verbal communication skills for presenting to internal audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to effectively engage at all levels of the company. Cultivate strong relationships and collaborative partnerships across senior stakeholders.
- Strategic thinker
- Have proven reach into Apple and OEMs, with a history of bending the curve towards
- Positive attitude and passion for good customer service and user experience
- Ability to collaborate across globally dispersed teams
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to make calculated decisions and compromises in business critical situations
- Project and task owner through to completion autonomously whilst managing customer and management expectations
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
Educational & Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering or other relevant field or have equivalent proven industry experience.
- Recent Apple Certifications
- JAMF Certifications
- ITIL Foundation or higher is an advantage.
- PRINCE2 or equivalent project management qualification or proven industry experience is an advantage.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Oct 4, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1913316
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.