Principal Standard Manager - Health Sciences
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
- Influencing the development of future qualifications, ensuring that they are operationally viable and meet the appropriate standard.
- Being the assessment expert for their area of expertise while ensuring all awards, awarding and verification is completed to the highest standards, in adherence with regulatory and internal compliance requirements and completed to deadline.
- To submit an overall report on outcomes and trends within their specialist sector for both internal and external assessment.
- Maintain the integrity of Pearson qualifications through the provision of high quality guidance to centres
- To ensure centres comply with quality assurance processes and regulatory requirements
- To chair the Question Paper Evaluation Committee (QPEC) meeting(s) within their specialist sector.
- To ensure the question paper(s), mark schemes and Authorised Assignment Briefs meet the requirements of the assessment criteria as set out in the specification for the sector.
- To chair the Awarding meeting for each externally assessed unit in the designated sector area, checking that the required standards are brought to bear in each external assessment component and in each subject as a whole. To recommend mark boundaries for each grade at the conclusion of the Awarding process for their sector.
- Direct the sampling of assessment and internal verification decisions across the range of programmes for their specialist sector that comprise the PSA, ensuring consistency of judgments and affirm that national standards are maintained
- Report on the overall outcomes of all qualification within their specialist sector in a designated PSA identifying specific trends in performance providing appropriate future recommendations while monitoring risk.
- Have overall subject specific responsibility for assessment advice, including supporting appropriate planning of programme delivery and creation of assessment instruments in centres and standards interpretation across all qualifications at all levels within a designated sector
- Provide authoritative advice for the range of qualifications within their specialist sector
- Define the format, agree the content and oversee the delivery of training to Standards Verifiers within their specialist sector for a designated sector in collaboration with their senior team.
- Sign off all standardisation materials for their specialist sector for centre assessors, internal verifiers and lead internal verifiers
- Identify and escalate issues of adverse standards interpretation within their specialist sector
- Supporting centres with issue resolution specific to their specialist sector to ensure the safety of learner achievement and certification
- Support the resolution of Malpractice issues within the sector working closely with the Investigations team
- Manage and monitor the standards of the Senior Standards Verifiers and AA workforce, dealing with performance issues effectively ensuring standards are not compromised.
- Promoting fair, consistent, motivational approaches to people management Line managing and coaching their team to enable them to achieve their objectives and to develop within the Pearson organisation
- Creating appropriate environment for high performance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Managing team performance in relation to internal and external service levels, for example timely resolution of customer queries and a high standard of customer communication
- Identifying and developing support to meet customer needs, bringing stakeholders together to ensure customers receive a high level of support Ensuring a team focus on delivering excellent customer service throughout alltasks, projects and processes.
- Updating and reporting on key management information to the Operations Manager, VQ Assessment, ensuring all data is up-to-date and accurate.
- Identifying and Escalating issues and risks to the Operations and DeliveryManager, VQ Assessment in a timely manner together with realistic solutions Leading on cross-department projects, ensuring all team members are briefed and engaged and the projects are delivered to deadline.
- Looking for new ways of undertaking activities and efficiency within own area Impacting a range of projects, operational and customer processes and activities within own area
- Participating in the enhancement and implementation of quality management systems, maintaining good working practices to maximise accuracy, economy, efficiency and security.
- Taking responsibility for quality and standards within their designated sector, reporting and reacting to issues that impact quality
- Ensuring awards meet regulatory and Awarding Manager requirements Conducting annual subject reviews to identify and implement improvements Preparing materials and implementing action plans required for Business
- Assurance audits and regulatory scrutiny activities
- Understanding and operating within the content production Quality Management System
- Assist centres in their understanding of quality assurance within sectors Provide guidance to centres, as required on internal verification procedures for their sector
- Ensure Quality Nominee networks are maintained and provide support in terms of good practice to quality nominees
- Motivating and leading their teams of AAs through constant change, reviewing regularly in order to deliver improvements to the quality and efficiency of the assessment process
- Recruiting Senior AAs within designated area
- Managing Senior AAs, continuously assessing their performance and giving regular feedback, including annual appraisals of their performance (e.g. Senior AA Review)
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with Senior AAs across all sectors
- Undertaking any further tasks necessary to deliver key objectives as required The post-holder is expected to demonstrate a flexible approach to the role. As such, the contents of this job description may change from time to time.
- Working to tight, and immoveable, deadlines
- Working within a regulated framework
- Forging effective working relationships with other key teams andindividuals within the Department, across the Division, across Pearson and with external stakeholders
- Flexibility of working patterns during peak periods
- Reacting positively to change.
- Adapting to the challenges created by the introduction of new qualifications
- Adapting to different IT systems
- Communicating difficult and complex information fluently to a variety ofaudiences
- Looking for new ways of undertaking activities and efficiency within own area
- Influencing and working closely with Assessment Associates and internal stakeholders.
- Simultaneously managing tasks for assessment activities
- Managing Assessment Associates and Senior teams
- Engaging with all key stakeholders, including Ofqual & DfE
- Securing resources to ensure timely delivery of results
- Analysing, interpreting and planning using management information and statistics
- Adopting a constructive and positive approach to influence others
The Responsible Officers' Business Unit has end-to-end responsibility for delivering secure assessment materials and outcomes from Pearson to our customers
The Principal Standards Manager will be a sector specialist responsible for maintaining standards within a sector across different specifications from year-to-year. Support, monitor and evaluate existing QA processes to ensure they remain fit for purpose, making or advising on revisions and changes required. Provide sector specific quality support to centres to ensure that
centres provide and maintain effective quality assurance of national standards for vocational qualifications.
Contribute to the strategic management and ongoing review of assessment delivery ensuring ongoing effectiveness and process efficiency within budgetary constraints.
The Principal Standards Manager, will ensure that standards for their specialist sector areas are met ensuring the consistent application of unit requirements across all programmes and levels within the Principal Subject Area.
You must be a car owner, hold a current and full driving licence and have access to a car during working hours.
To ensure centres delivering qualifications within the designated specialist sector are consistent in the exemplification and interpretation of standards. To ensure effective assessment outcomes across all qualifications within the Principal Subject Area while ensuring centres have access to the tools and subject specific support to deliver effective qualifications.
Ensure that risks to our learners, our reputation and our business are managed effectively.
Key accountabilities: Assessment Activities
People Management and Development
Planning, Project and Information Management
Please note we are currently looking for people with the following subject expertise only;
Applied Science qualifications:
RQF BTEC Health Science L3 \[in development\]
L2 Technicals Laboratory Science
BTEC Pharmaceutical Science L2 L3
NVQ Pharmacy Services L2 L3
BTEC Dental Technology L3
NVQ Optical Retailing L2 L3
Pharmacy Services Advanced Apprenticeship
Pharmacy Services Intermediate Apprenticeship
Health (Optical Retail) Intermediate Apprenticeship
NVQ Pathology Support
NVQ Laboratory and Science Technician
NVQ Life Sciences and Chemical
NVQ Lab and Associated Technical Activities
NVQ Lab Science
NVQ Healthcare Science
Science Manufacturing Technician
Science Maintenance Technician
From Health & Social Care
First Aid & emergency care
Trailblazers Care 2,3,4,5
Assessment expert within the appropriate sector (essential)
People management experience
Experience within a quality role (essential) Verification and awarding of external assessment Delivery of Pearson vocational qualification.
Education, qualification & training:
Degree or equivalent qualification in relevant sector area with knowledge current and up-to-date within area of expertise
Personal style & behaviour:
Highly motivated individual with personal drive and energy Able to prioritise and manage own workload
Actively seeks information and is able to handle it appropriately Prepared to be flexible in their approach to problem solving
Pearson Leadership Profile
Leading Self / Leading Others / Leading the Business:
Strategic & visionary
Makes it happen.
37.5 hour core working week
Overtime is available
Flexible working pattern available
During peak times of activity there are restrictions
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Professional Development
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 5, 2018
Job Unposting: Feb 19, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1718901