This position monitors, supports, and improves the refinery DCS systems, DCS applications, and DCS interfaces. Each DCS specialist is accountable for all refinery DCS systems but also specializes in a specific technology / system. The role works closely with Operating Technicians, Process Control Engineers, Process Engineers, and Instrument Engineers/Technicians.
Cherry Point Refinery is a sophisticated user of Honeywell TDC3000 (proprietary OS) and Honeywell Experion (windows OS) DCS systems.
The Process Control Team consists of Process Control Engineers, DCS Specialists, and a Systems Support Specialist. Various contractor resources are periodically utilized. The group has shared responsibility for all software (and limited hardware) on the process computing system. This role reports to the Process Control Superinte ndent.
Expected tenure in role is 3 years.
The specialization for this role will initially be OTS (Operator Training Simulator) DCS support. This includes DCS configuration, simulator project management, simulator updates, simulator alignment with the live DCS, and other activities associated with the maintenance and growth of the OTS program at Cherry Point.
In addition, the following standard DCS accountabilities will apply:
- Provide Honeywell DCS system support; including monitoring, networking, software and hardware troubleshooting, upgrades, and migrations.
- Monitor, maintain, and enhance existing DCS applications in terms of safety, effectiveness, and utilization. Identify, evaluate, and implement new DCS applications that allow refinery personnel to manage information and improve working efficiency.
- Develop and maintain DCS interfaces (including Native window schematics, HMIWeb schematics, DCS interface to lab, DCS interface to IT, etc.)
- Configure new instrumentation in the DCS systems.
- Assist Process Control Engineers in identifying, evaluating, implementing, improving, and troubleshooting new and existing minor advanced controls.
- Assist Instrumentation Technicians and Process Control Engineers in the tuning of basic regulatory controls.
- Provide recommendations for DCS system configuration improvements. Assist in long-term planning.
- Stay abreast of the latest automation technologies.
- Fully document projects / activities and improve existing documentation as needed.
- Ability to work as a team player, comply with standards, and follow management of change policies.
- Manage and guide both contractor personnel and interdisciplinary teams.
- Assist in the training and development of Process Control Engineers, Process Engineers, Operation Technicians, and other groups in the refinery as required.
- Understand company HSE practices, policies, and procedures. Develop and maintain safe behaviors and an awareness of the associated risks in routine activities. Participate in and, where appropriate, own the outcomes of Hazops and other safety reviews / audits.
- Participate in knowledge transfer with other BP facilities. Implement best practices as appropriate. Share system support on a 24 hr rotating weekly basis
A bachelors degree or equivalent experience in a related technical discipline
- 3 years or equivalent relevant experience with industrial process control.
- Proven computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Systems
- Ability to analyze existing code / applications for specific symptoms and subsequently improve the application’s functionality and ease of maintenance.
- Must have the ability to communicate technical information (oral and written).
- Must have effective interaction with the process control team and with interdisciplinary refinery teams. A team player yet able to work independently, including task identification & prioritization. Able to function comfortably and effectively in the roles of individual contributor, team player, or project leader.
- Must have a bias towards action, a commitment to performance delivery, and an eye for accuracy and detail