The Process Control Engineer's primary responsibility is to ensure the safe and optimal operation of Cherry Point via the control system on a day to day basis. This includes design, implementation, support and troubleshooting of DCS control strategies (both regulatory and advanced) and DCS systems.
You will also play a significant role supporting project work on your assigned units. Cherry Point Refinery is a user of Honeywell TDC3000, Honeywell Experion, and Aspen DMCPlus multivariable technology.
The Process Control Team consists of process control engineers, DCS specialists, and a systems support specialist. In addition various contractor resources are periodically utilized. The group has shared responsibility for all software (and limited hardware) on the process computing system. This role reports to the Process Control Superintendent.
- Monitor, maintain, and enhance existing regulatory controls, advanced controls, DCS systems, and automation applications in terms of safety, effectiveness, utilization, and profitability.
- Review, recommend, and implement regulatory control and logic design for both capital and expense projects.
- Identify, evaluate, and implement new advanced controls and automation applications that contribute to safety, reliability, and profitability.
- Maintain the off-line operator training simulator and insure consistency with the on-line system. Add /subtract functionality through minor model modifications.
- Share responsibility for all aspects of the process computing system including system software troubleshooting & maintenance, application development, interface maintenance & development, system configuration, long-term planning, training, and documentation.
- Develop applications that allow the Operating technician to manage upset conditions, start-ups, and shut-downs with minimum loss & HSE exposure.
- Perform economic control application analyses, both pre and post project.
- Support the alarm management processes.
- Ability to work as a team player, comply with standards, follow management of change policies, enhance process digital security, and fully document projects and activities.
- Manage and guide both contractor personnel and interdisciplinary teams.
- Stay abreast of the latest automation & advanced control technologies and provide innovative solutions to optimize both the process and the control systems.
- Assist in training and development of Process Control Engineers, Process Engineers, Maintenance Engineers, and Operation / I&E Technicians.
- Understand company HSE practices, policies, & procedures and participate in refinery hazard analysis and root cause failure analysis.
- Participate in knowledge transfer with other BP facilities.
- A Bachelor's in Engineering is required
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in industrial process control or process engineering
- Working knowledge of control system engineering functions (preferably Honeywell TDC3000 and Experion: point configuration and database, schematic building, HPM, C300, etc.)
- Specialist control skills and an understanding of process dynamics, control engineering principles, and practical operating knowledge
- Effective communication skills with all levels in the Refinery and the ability to communicate technical information both oral and written
- Able to function comfortably and effectively in the roles of individual contributor, team player, and project leader
- A bias towards action, a commitment to performance delivery, and an eye for accuracy and detail.