At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The Commercial Product Manager plays a pivotal role in driving the growth of Higher Education qualifications and services, both within the UK and internationally, and in positioning Pearson as an organisation dedicated to tightening the employability skills gap.
Possessing excellent commercial and product management skills, you will drive the growth of a portfolio; leading on growth and expansion strategies, product launches, and commercial contracts, as well as monitoring product and market performance. With a good understanding of market and customer needs, you will also identify new product development opportunities and ensure all new propositions are commercially sound, profitable, and in line with Pearson strategies.
Your excellent communication skills and innate passion for whatever you do will also enable you to champion the portfolio with internal and external stakeholders.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with energy, innovation and vision, who is looking to make a difference and be a key part of Pearson’s employability agenda. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
- Lead on the product management expansion strategy for a portfolio; identifying and leading on the implementation of market/product penetration/development and diversification strategies.
- Lead the commercial launch and growth strategy for new product launches; working with colleagues in the UK and internationally to define the sales and marketing strategy, competitor landscape, value proposition, and partnership models, as well lead on the implementation and effectiveness against KPIs of the tactical plan.
- Monitor and report on portfolio performance (revenue and registrations); analysing trends, driving action with internal stakeholders when performance dips, as well as monitoring costs and profitability, to ensure that the portfolio continues to deliver against business objectives.
- Oversee portfolio performance and lead cross-functional strategies and campaigns to address external threats.
- Identify new product development opportunities, and lead on the development and validation of the business case to support the proposition.
- Lead on the business model and pricing strategies the portfolio.
- Drive commercial opportunities/big contracts; working withinternal stakeholders to identify potential opportunities and pitch solutions to potential partners, developing the proposed value proposition, and leading the development of these commercial solutions, bringing in experts as needed.
- Work in collaboration with international teams to shape and implement large local projects (such as with Ministries of Education); driving commercial growth of the portfolio.
- Champion the proposition; participating in new market and product launches, both internally and externally, and leading on initiatives to increase the sales team’s advocacy and knowledge of the portfolio.
- Monitor the marketplace; identifying and sharing information on global skills gaps, trends and key competitor activity, driving action through other teams where necessary.
- Understand UK and international market drivers, champion these within the department, and translate these drivers into potential opportunities for the division; working with UK and international colleagues to bring these opportunities through to fruition.
- Lead the internal roll-out plan to sales and marketing teams for new product development launches; participating in training where necessary, to ensure the sales teams are equipped with the information to grow the portfolio in their markets.
- Feed into brand experience and drive improvements to the customer experience model; working closely with customers on an on-going basis to define customer value.
- Manage and define the commercial operational plan and budget, ensuring that activities provide value for money and are in line with Pearson’s strategy.
- Champion commercial thinking within the department; acting as a coach for others and leading on training to develop the department’s commercial skills.
- Support the Head of Commercial Management with the overall strategy for the department.
Desirable Previous Experience / Knowledge
- Track record in leading and managing innovative market winning propositions
- Experience in developing and delivering successful long term strategies for products and/ or services
- Experience of working within a strategic marketing role
- Forward-thinking, pragmatic and commercial approach to work
- Engaging and confident individual with strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Extensive previous customer facing experience
- Understands and anticipates customer and learner needs to achieve outcomes which benefit both internal and external customers
- Experience and evidence of managing client and product profitability
- Ability to present complex issues in an easily understood fashion to internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Strong commercial skills, including budget management and financial analysis
- Strong written and oral communication, including strong business writing skills
- Experience of working closely with product, marketing, sales and operations to deliver the best result and event experience
- Experience of conducting market research to inform product propositions.
- Direct experience of building products and solutions for/in the education sector
- Project management experience and/or management of matrix virtual teams.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively within a matrix structure
- Experience of pitching propositions to external stakeholders
- Experience in qualification development or qualification product management
- Experience within an international context
- Sales Experience
- Experience in building partnerships and driving forward joint ventures
- Knowledge of vocational education and current market and policy drivers
- Classroom/ teaching/ curriculum development experience
- Coaching/ mentoring experience
- Passion for identifying skills gaps and driving forward the employability agenda
Systems, Tools & IT Literacy
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
Education, Qualifications & Training
- Degree or equivalent
- Business or Strategic Marketing post-graduate qualification
Personal style and behaviours
- An excellent team worker with exceptional communication skills, must have the ability to find solutions to problems and flag issues at the appropriate level.
- Ability to be flexible in working hours to engage with our international stakeholders.
- Willingness to travel internationally to support the HEQ growth strategy.
- Ability to improve the service offering for our learners by continuously requesting feedback from our stakeholders.
- The desire to work on multiple projects in a face paced changing environment.
Pearson Leadership Profile
- Leading Self/Leading Others/Leading the Business
- Always Learning
- Self Starter
- Customer Focussed
- Team Player
- Strong Networker
- Effective Communicator
- Problem Solver
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-80 Strand 80 Strand London WC2R 0RL
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 15, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1809931
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.