Product Manager (Digital Educational)
About the team
The Progression and Intervention team are a dynamic and innovative group exploring exciting product ideas for new markets. We work across both Primary and Secondary school markets to produce products and services for students and their teachers across a range of subjects. We are increasingly working on digital products and are keen to bring someone with software or digital product management or publishing experience into the team. Education experience is advantageous but we are very open to people with no prior education. We will also consider candidates with a print background who are keen to spend more time working on digital products.
You would be working within a matrix team, with people from many different job functions - content creation, product management, design, sales and marketing - coming together to create and launch brilliant assessment and intervention resources that work in the classroom. The role can be based in our Oxford or London offices and you would report into the Head of Product for Progression and Intervention.
About the role
We are looking for an energetic and proactive person with well-developed product management (publishing) skills, particularly in the digital, technology or software product management arena and a passion for education. Experience or ideas about the use of data and reporting in schools would be particularly advantageous, but is not necessary.
As a member of the Progression and Intervention team you will be required to lead multi-disciplinary teams to deliver projects from start to finish, creatively thinking about market need, finding gaps in the market and crafting digital and / or print proposals. You will research and develop proposals which win in a crowded market, and work with teams to deliver these proposals to market to time, quality and budget. You will be the commercial lead for projects managing the project P&L: working with sales and marketing on forecasting and with our media, design, supplier management, publishing, production, development (technology) and editorial teams on defining and managing costs.
You will also be expected to own the strategy for your area and be the voice for your assessment and intervention products within Pearson.You will be responsible fordelivering revenue and market share growth ensuring that revenue and profit targets for designated projects are met and that 1-year and 3-year plans and propositions are in place.
A day in the life of
During a normal day you might engage in some of the below activities:
- Devising and managing market research - working with our market research team) to test propositions with our core customer segments and hone these propositions to meet market need. This will includedesk and field market research. It may also mean drawing on or commissioning academic research.
- Visiting customers to better understand their needs.
- Researching and building your understanding of the assessment and intervention market to ensure that everything we do improves learning and is well-researched and evidence-based.
Strategy and financial planning
- Contributing to the strategy process for the Progression and Intervention team and the wider learning services team, contributing to strategy sessions where needed and taking part in strategy days
- Devising a strategic roadmap for your area which drives new revenue and increases market share.
- Contributing to our annual financial planning processes
- Putting together and managing P&Ls working with internal teams to draw together forecasts and costings.
Proposition Development and Execution
- Identifying product opportunities for market segments and presenting business cases in regular Product Council (sign-off) meetings
- Developing commercially successful propositions (including software, digital, print and professional development offerings) which deliver real value for teachers and which really work for students.
- Working closely with sales and marketing teams to develop and/or refine Customer Value Propositions for key products showing why we will win in the market.
- Contributing to winning sales and marketing strategies, messages and collateral working with the Sales and Marketing teams and discussing and agreeing customer needs, competitive advantage and market positioning.
- Developing the vision for a product/service and communicating this so that it resonates for different internal and external stakeholders
- Working with development and user experience teams to create products which deliver high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Leading cross-functional teams from across the business to deliver proposals on time, to desired quality and to budget.
- Working with our internal supplier management team to find the best suppliers for projects
- Supporting team members to problem solve and build a positive working culture
- Briefing customer-facing teams (in particular Post-sales Service teams, Sales, Marketing) on products, services and the changing market environment
- Presenting to external stakeholders e.g. teachers, headteachers, potential partners
- Quality assurance of content at key points during its development
- Monitoring competitor activity and keeping up to date with changes in the education landscape (for example curriculum and policy) to ensure you are developing the best products and services for our customers
Managing propositions through their lifecycle
- Being the advocate and face of the products you manage, responding to queries from around the business and championing your brand(s) in appropriate forums
- Gathering customer feedback on the products that you manage anddevising a strategy which improves customer satisfaction and retention
- Planning the roadmap for these products and prioritising releases of functionality and content working with our development (technology) team
- Leading teams to deliver new content and functionality on the roadmap
- Where needed, answering escalated customer queries and writing customer-facing communications about the products that you manage.
This role will not have line management responsibilities.
Who are we looking for?
Someone with the following skills and qualities:
- Software product management or educational product management or print and digital publishing skills, creative thinking and customer empathy: the ability to create and articulate new propositions based soundly on customer needs
- Strategic thinking skills: the ability to think strategically, identify attractive market segments and key sources of competitive advantage.
- Communication, relationship building and influencing skills both within the company and with external stakeholders
- Commercial and financial planning skills: the ability to create a P&L and manage costs and to contribute to financial planning processes
- Organisational and project management skills: the ability to plan and manage projects and the workload of any line managed and mentored staff
- Digital skills: the ability to work with technology teams to develop the digital part of propositions.
- Education market experience
- Digital / software product management experience
- Data, reporting, assessment or intervention experience
- Service management experience: management of a live subscription service and planning the roadmap for a live service.
You don’t need to have any prior experience in the education sector, although we do like to hire people who have a genuine interest in this sector.
So if you have a passion for producing resources which really help all students be successful and proven publishing or product management skills, we would love to meet you to discuss the role further.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Oxford
Other Locations GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-Oxford-Jordan Hill Halley Court Jordan Hill Oxford OX2 8EJ
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jun 26, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1806598
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled