Product Manager, HE Product Management: Psychology, Economics & Decision Science
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better.
We seek an experiencedProduct Manager, HE Product Management: Psychology, Economics & Decision Science to join a highly collaborative and fast-moving team dedicated to building Pearson products that capitalize on market opportunities, meet customer needs and deliver learner outcomes. The Product Manager holds accountability for delivering a product and /or portfolio using internal & external resources that meets market expectations for their assigned segment and drives revenue for Pearson as well as value for our customers. The role reports to the Director Product Management UK HE & UK Professional.
Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder management are foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, driving innovation and continuous improvement for efficiency and sustainable growth is key.
- Working with colleagues in Geography, sales, marketing and also product marketing teams to support in the identification, assessment and prioritization of market opportunities & customer pain points in your assigned segment
- Ensure focus on maximising both commercial and learner outcomes for your product(s)
- Contribute to the creation of new products (using the product lifecycle methodology) and retire existing products as needed. In doing so, ensure optimal mix that addresses evolving segment needs & opportunities in the fields ofEconomics and Decision Science
- Collaborate closely on projects with colleagues from the Content, Experience Design, Production, Efficacy & Learning Research, and Product Platform teams to create products that improve outcomes for learners and drive business value for Pearson.
- Provide valuable input on defining and developing products with value propositions that meet learner needs and improve learner outcomes while capitalising on market and customer opportunities.
- Be accountable for the execution of customer experience of products across all formats (print, digital), including good fidelity of implementation in the classroom/ institution.
- Use research,digital experience and analytics to design product strategy and identify which customers to target/key jobs to be done.
- Drive continuous improvement once products have been launched, to optimize customer experience, adapt to specific geography/ market segment requirements, respond to competitor actions and improve learner, and commercial outcomes.
- Support achievement of the financial targets for your product(s) and understand the product P&L
- Act as an ambassador for Pearson products, generating excitement and enthusiasm internally and externally.
- Understand competitor products and key drivers of market share.
- Be part of a culture that promotes partnership, teamwork and innovation
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Key Requirements and Attributes
- Degree (or equivalent preferred)
- Product management experience, including managing digital products.
- Good understanding of education and learning from a consumer viewpoint: ability to translate the winning product management strategies into actionable plans and products that drive value for customers and learners.
- Great insight into the needs of different markets and the opportunities within them, capability to build execution around product strategies that serve multiple markets at once.
- Deep comprehension of the digital world and ability to translate this into product realisation, team mindset and ways of working.
- High competence to balance strategic thinking with a focus on operational delivery.
- Able to maintain a ruthless prioritisation to deliver product roadmap, ensuring that the product stays on track to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Strong delegation skills. Ability to communicate objectives to constituent teams, delegate assignments / deliverables appropriately and trust teams to deliver.
- Preferably experienced in SAFe and agile product management methodologies as both a participant and leader
- Expertise– You have a depth and breadth of expertise in your specialized field and can provide expertise to various stakeholders. You demonstrate knowledge of best practices within your area of specialism and how it integrates with related areas of the business.
- Accountability and Ownership– You take ownership and accountability for targets and drive achievement through effective leadership, determination and motivation to succeed. You demonstrate sound judgement in assessing business risks and make decisions that balance a variety of factors taking into consideration set goals. You solve problems by using expertise to evaluate multiple sources of information, and creating innovative solutions to problems. You seek information from internal and external sources, prioritizing and analyzing potential solutions in complex or new situations.
- Building Partnerships– You identify opportunities and take action to build strategic relationships between your area and other teams, departments and organizations to help achieve business goals. You develop relationships with senior leaders across the organization, customers and suppliers and negotiate internally also at senior levels regarding important issues within your own area.
- Communication and Collaboration– You are able to clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals and groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them to understand as well as retain the message. You communicate points of view in a compelling way and with expertise across a wide range of projects as well as across internal & external clients. You have great collaboration skills and are able to work effectively across teams regardless of reporting lines.
- Aligning Performance for Success– You lead through providing technical direction across the business and/or through a team and achieve the completion of substantial projects, operations or customer objectives. You have the ability to guide others in accomplishing work objectives; setting performance goals; achieving targets and creating a learning environment comes naturally to you. You recognize the impact of change on others, and lead through positive behavior and coaching.
- Analytical Skill and Learning Agility –You take a systematic, structured view of situations, while staying focused on the execution and delivery. You have the capacity to be open to new ideas and comfortable exploring areas where there is ambiguity.
- Innovation –Generating innovative solutions in work situations; out of the box approaches; trying different and novel ways to deal with challenges and focusing on opportunities to aid achievement of product delivery are reflected in your ways of working.
- Deliver Results –You have a track record transforming strategy into executable action plans and also a great track record of successful achievement against set execution.
- Time Management & Organisation –You possess excellent organizational and time management skills, coupled with the proven ability to set priorities, manage deadlines as well as manage resources effectively and make data-driven decisions.
- Global Perspective –You have experience operating in a global environment and are able to demonstrate international cultural agility.
- Brave –Resilient and operating well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Accountable– Has integrity, sets clear expectations and delivers what is promised
- Decent– Does the right thing, represents Pearson’s values and promotes the company’s mission in day-to-day behavior, and is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external partners
- Imaginative– Innovative, is solutions-orientated and unafraid to try new things, and uses insights to tell Pearson’s story in a compelling and simple fashion suited to the relevant audiences
Primary Location: GB-GB-Harlow
Other Locations GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-Harlow-Kao Park Kao Park London Rd Harlow CM17 9NA
Job: Product Management
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Apr 30, 2019
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1903146
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.