Product Manager, Product Analytics
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Product Analytics is transforming education,andPearsonis at the forefront of using data to improve teaching and student learning. With over 10 million higher education students annually studying in our MyLab, Mastering, and other digital learning products, we have the data. We have the instructional and assessment content. Our product teams are building adaptive and intelligent learning systems to derive actionable insights around our Learners, Instructors and Institutions. Today, our learning products are delivering personalized experiences worldwide, establishing a powerful foundation for new research and innovation.
We are looking for a uniquely talented individual who turns data into insight, action, and results. This likely goes without saying but you must love data! The Product Manager of Product Analytics will operate as an analyst in many capacities while also leading data instrumentation initiatives and developing analytics products that help optimize our customer experience. They will take part in the entire product life-cycle from ideation to launch to optimization.
Strong critical thinking skills, the ability to navigate through various data environments, and a drive to understand the business is essential to succeed in this role. The successful candidate will be a thought partner to our customers and will help lead them to formulate the right business questions. This individual will dig into the data (Backend DBs and Google Analytics) to investigate and unearth critical insights, and will need to transform that information into powerful visualizations (using Tableau, R, Excel, etc.). The ability to effectively articulate and present the story behind the data will be very important.
The role will involve close interaction with product mgmt, user design groups, data warehouse developers, data architects, and software development teams. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are critical.
High Level Responsibilities:
- Develop lasting insights for complex questions through thorough and well designed data analyses using SQL, R and Tableau with a particular focus on product efficacy and the optimization of learning outcomes.
- Partner and nurture relationships with Product Managers and Content teams to prioritize, scope and perform in-depth analyses to drive and inform strategic decisions, especially related to the product development and growth initiatives.
- Provide thought leadership across those internal stakeholders being supported in order that they may be able to better leverage the insights.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to produce instrumentation requirements to generate insightful measurements on our new and existing products. Familiarity with Amazon S3, Redshift, Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, or Google Big Query is a big plus!
- Work across departments and collaborate with business managers, user experience, systems architects, engineering delivery teams, project managers, QA, and operations teams.
- Identify information and visualizations required to tell a compelling and meaningful story with the various data points available; establish baselines and monitor growth or decline in a multitude of consumer metrics.
- Track and report on the status of deliverables in relation to a pre-defined project schedule, serve as a point-of-contact to our business partners and cross-functional teams for day-to-day management of the Analytics project plan.
- Create and maintain the Analytics project plan, schedules, and other documentation required to effectively manage deliverables to our customers.
- Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
- Instrumentation wins to remediate data gaps.
- Analyzing & discovering insights across our products.
- Building smart, intuitive data and insight tools that nurture data driven decision making.
- Maintaining strong relationships with our internal stakeholders.
- Lead in an environment marked by acute uncertainty
- Thought leader & innovator
- Sweat the details & execute
- Communicate & manage complexity simply
- Multidisciplinary flair
- Engage & motivate others
- Team builder / team Player
- Leadership through influence
- Great communicator
- 4 years’ related work experience or 4 years in a highly analytical or quantitative function.
- The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker, is analytical, detail and results oriented with excellent problem-solving skills and a strong work ethic. They are a highly motivated self-starter. This individual is an evangelist for their product and has a deep understanding of customer needs.
- Ability and willingness to learn structured and unstructured data infrastructure.
- Experience in developing analytic business requirements for instrumentation with Google Analytics.
- Proficient understanding of effective report/dashboard design and standards.
- Familiar with data preparation, processing, classification, and forecasting.
- Strong familiarity with the software product lifecycle.
- Experience with Amazon S3, Redshift, Google Tag Manager, Google Analytics, or Google Big Query, Tableau and SQL is a big plus!
- The ideal candidate for this role will at least have a Bachelor’s degree in a technical, business, or math-based field.
- Experience interacting with individuals at all levels, strong time management and communication skills a must.
- Proven leadership ability to influence and inspire people indirectly, lead by example, engage and effectively build multidisciplinary teams and alliances, and facilitate positive change in a large organization.
- This position requires some travel to planning and team meetings (20%) and will require frequent use of web-based remote video and project collaboration tools.
NOTE: MUST be fully authorized to work in the U.S. No sponsorship or visa transfers.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-CA-San Francisco
Other Locations US-MA-Boston, US-CO-Centennial, US-RE-Remote, US-NJ-Hoboken
Work Locations: US-CA-San Francisco-1255 Battery St 1255 Battery St Suite 220 San Francisco 94111
Job: Product Management
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 11, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1718783