Product Manager/Publisher, Primary Literacy
Start date: January 2019
About the Team
The primary literacy team is a dedicated, fun, supportive and knowledgeable group of people who work creatively to produce literacy resources for Primary-age children and their teachers. It’s a matrix team with people from many job functions working together to create resources which really work in classrooms. In your team you’ll work with fellow product managers, editors/content specialists, content delivery managers, digital development and platform specialists, marketers, designers and a broad range of external suppliers. You’ll report into the Head of Primary Literacy and Professional Development and this role is based in Oxford.
About the Role
We are looking for an energetic Product Manager/Publisher who is passionate about primary education, a great team player, and bursting with ideas to manage existing primary literacy brands, and research, develop and deliver new projects in primary literacy from start to finish. In this role you will be an entrepreneur within a large business, and your innovative, fast thinking and proactive approach to opportunities will shine through.
In the role you will be required to keep your finger on the pulse of the primary literacy market to identify emerging opportunities and gaps, and develop market winning print and/or digital proposals which meet customers’ needs. You will come up with innovative new ideas, research and develop proposals, and work closely with cross-functional teams to deliver products to market on time, to budget and to the highest quality. Working closely with the Head of Literacy and editorial and supplier teams you will be responsible for project budgets, P&Ls, and successful on time delivery of new publishing projects.
Alongside the development of new propositions you will take responsibility existing literacy brands, ensuring customer feedback is responded to, developments are timely and appropriate, ongoing sales and marketing plans are supported, and customer retention and revenue targets are met.
A day in the life…
In this role you will be required to undertake the following activities:
Market Understanding & Relationship Building
- Maintain and build your network of contacts and influencers in primary education to ensure that new proposals are well thought through and meet the market’s needs
- Identify and engage potential partners, including consultants, experts, 3rdparty businesses and key author talent to develop and deliver new propositions
- Negotiate contractual agreements as appropriate on a project by project basis
- Develop and execute market research to test propositions with core customer segments and ensure these propositions meet market need, including desk and field market research in collaboration with internal and external market research teams
- Track, analyse and anticipate competitor activity, and respond accordingly
Financial and Data
- Work with and manipulate data to make strategic decisions about brands for which you are responsible (e.g. understanding purchasing patterns, usage patterns, pricing structures and business models, and being able to make data driven decisions based on your analysis)
- Build P&Ls for your projects, collecting and managing costs and forecasts, and calculating profitability ensuring projects are commercially successful
- Contribute to the wider strategy process for primary literacy and the annual financial planning process by analysing data on existing services.
Proposition Development and Execution
- Identify commercially viable publishing opportunities, develop the vision for new products/services and communicate these to get buy-in from internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure propositions (including print, digital and professional development offerings) are fully researched and validated, customer value propositions and market segments are well defined and risky assumptions around propositions are fully tested using market research and/or prototyping so they win in the market
- Work closely with sales and marketing teams to develop and/or refine Customer Value Propositions for propositions demonstrating why we will win in the market
- Work with digital development/platform teams to ensure all requirements and dependencies for platform development and digital content development are well defined, prioritised in the overall platform roadmap, budgeted and tested for release
- Present new propositions for sign off in regular product council/publishing meetings
- Collaborate with sales and marketing to define messaging and collateral for key propositions
- Oversee project team to deliver publishing proposals on time, to desired quality and to budget,
- Work with our internal supplier management team to find the best suppliers for projects
- Brief customer-facing teams (in particular post-sales service teams, sales, marketing) on products, services and the changing market environment
- Be the face and advocate for the brands you manage, responding to queries from sales, marketing, global and customer support teams
- Regularly catch up with sales and marketing colleagues to build sales and marketing plans, assess performance of key brands and devise tactics for revenue growth
- Gather and monitor customer feedback on live services and work with colleagues to devise the roadmap for these services to maximise customer satisfaction, prioritising releases of functionality and content with our platform team
- Answer escalated customer queries, and write customer facing communications about key brands and the primary market in collaboration with marketing and sales
- Monitor, report and act on the ongoing performance of services against key performance indicators including usage, renewal rate, adoptions and revenue against target
Who are we looking for?
Someone with the following skills and qualities:
- Proven printanddigital publishing skills and demonstrable experience in delivery of commercially successful propositions to market which meet customer needs
- A strong eye for detail, coupled with the ability to see strategic ‘big picture’ trends and changes to identify attractive market segments and key sources of competitive advantage
- A passion for data, and the ability to manipulate and use data to make decisions
- Commercial and financial planning skills: the ability to independent create P&Ls, manage costs and financially manage projects
- Communication, relationship building and influencing skills both within the company and with external stakeholders, the ability to present confidently to a range of audiences and make strong, evidence based decisions
- Excellent organisational and project management skills: the ability to plan and manage projects, and budgets
- Knowledge of the primary education sector and market is desirable, but not essential
- Creative, innovative and forward-thinking
Please note : Official Pearson job title for this role is Product Management Analyst
Primary Location: GB-GB-Oxford
Work Locations: GB-Oxford-Jordan Hill Halley Court Jordan Hill Oxford OX2 8EJ
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Oct 21, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1810158
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.