Product Manager / Publisher: Secondary English and History (12 month maternity cover)
About the team
The English and Humanities team produces resources for Secondary-age students and their teachers across a range of subjects including English, History, Drama and Geography. You would be working within a matrix team, with people from many different job functions - editorial, design, sales and marketing - coming together to commission and launch brilliant resources for our English and Humanities list. The role can be based in our Oxford or London offices and you would report into the Head of English, Humanities and Modern Languages.
About the role
We are looking for someone with a passion for education, with a good knowledge of the Secondary schools market and, ideally (but not essential), of English and/or History in particular. You will be part of a friendly and high-performing team, working closely with that team to understand customer and learner needs and create great resources for the English and History list.
A day in the life of
During a normal working week you might engage in some of the below activities:
- Carry out market research with teachers and students to understand customer needs
- Translate these customer needs into winning product and service proposals
- Build and seek approval of business cases for new products, including full financials
- Liaise closely with our Sales and Marketing teams to devise winning campaigns and monitor the effectiveness of those campaigns
- Build and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the field of English and History
- Find, commission and work with key authors and internal and external teams to ensure timely launch of products and services
- Develop content - whether it is print or digital - that really works in the classroom, and test that content with teachers and students
- Manage budgets for your projects, ensuring tight cost control
- Monitor the revenue performance of your titles and the English/History backlist, and respond accordingly.
Who are we looking for?
- Someone educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Someone who loves education and is passionate about creating resources that help students make progress in English/Humanities
- Ideally someone with a track record of commissioning and publishing in the UK education sector although we would also be interested in hearing from people looking to make their first steps into commissioning.
- A subject specialism in working in History and/or English is desirable but not essential.
- Someone who would enjoy working with a close team to develop exciting new resources but equally willing to take responsibility and lead in their area of responsibility
- Proven organisational /project management skills
- Education/Secondary teaching experience desirable (but not essential).
Primary Location: United Kingdom
Other Locations GB-GB-London, GB-GB-Oxford
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Job Type: Experienced
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 10, 2018
Job Unposting: Sep 3, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Temporary
Req ID: 1810414
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled