The Product Quality Specialist is responsible for the development and implementation of the Whiting Refinery Product Quality Continuous Improvement program. This involves development and execution of activities which mitigate product quality risks, improve organizational quality culture enabling refinery to achieve strategic objectives of being sustainably best refinery in the US.
The Product Quality Specialist reports directly to the Refinery Optimisation Manager who is a member of the Refinery Leadership Team.
Act as a visible leader of product quality initiatives across the site and communicate product quality objectives, performance vs. plan and actions to address gaps
This highly visible position provides a broad exposure to refinery operations, centralized technology group and the commercial team. It is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate and hone leadership skills.
The role will also develop communication strategies and other tactics designed to elevate the product quality consciousness of the refinery and to build a product quality culture consistent with Whiting's aspiration to the be the premier refinery in North America.
- Responsible for developing and driving the product quality improvement agenda at Whiting focused primarily in the 0-5 year space.
- Serve as the owner of the Whiting Product Quality Management System. In this capacity the Product Quality Specialist will lead or facilitate product quality incident investigations and gap assessments and develop gap-closure actions to reduce identified risks.
- Act as Product Quality Subject Matter Expert on projects that reduces product quality risks and optimization initiatives that improves refinery gross margin
- Engage external resources such as other BP refinery, Refining Technology and Engineering (RTE), Global Fuels Technology (GFT) and industry experts in incident investigations and best practice sharing
- Mentor and coach new engineers and key Operations staff on the importance of product quality and the details of Whiting Product Quality Management system
- Owns and maintains the Whiting Refinery Product Quality Manual and product quality elements of the Whiting Local Operations Management System (LOMS)
- Facilitates/coordinates the Product Quality Steering Team meetings to ensure effective and efficient outcomes aligned with agreed priorities.
- Excellent time management skills and prioritization capabilities to deliver objectives at or ahead of agreed deadlines
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Chemical Engineering preferred
- 5+ years of process engineering or equivalent preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills to drive action and accountability without direct line authority
- Strong initiative and able to work effectively independently and as a team to both identify opportunities for improvement but also track and ensure responsible parties deliver on commitments to close agreed product quality improvement actions
- Focus on performance delivery and results-oriented
- Good organization and data management skills ideally with prior training in RCA methodology
- Team player with ability to develop effective relationships with internal and external parties (eg. Global Fuels Technology, Air BP, Refining Technology)