The Production Specialist is an Operations Specailist for a process unit complex who is the Operating Superintendent's "No. 2". The Production Specialist is the "go-to" expert for field production related knowledge. The Production Specialist has the leadership capability to routinely fill in for and backup the Operations Superintendent, and provides long term stability to the Production Team. The Production Specialist on a daily basis tests what is "real in the field" regarding personal safety, process safety, and compliance, and intervenes as necessary to drive performance.
The Production Specialist is accountable to establish expectations and drive their organization to thoroughly asses, understand, and control personal safety risk through the use of safe work permits and compliance with procedures. The Production Specialist is accountable to establish expectations and drive unit personnel and the Production Team to continuously reduce process safety risk through compliance with procedures, operating limits, the MOC process, and completion of action items. The Production Specialist leads the PSM compliance effort on behalf of the Operations Superintendent
The Production Specialist owns safe operating limit content, accuracy, and usefulness on behalf of the Operating Superintendent
- Manages Process Safety Information, ensuring accuracy and availability to Operations.
- Drives the MOC process within the Production Team. Ensures MOC completion prior to commissioning. (Execution of the MOC process, including MOC quality, and timely action item resolution, is the responsibility of Production Team members as directed by the Production Specialist.)
- Drives the PSM and HSSE action item closure process within the Production Team. Ensures Production Team members know their assignments and associated due dates. (The quality, effectiveness, and timeliness of action item closure is the responsibility of Production Team members, and will be managed by Functional Leaders.)
- Coordinates unit resources for HAZOP and PSME reviews.
- Manages investigation process for the Production Team on behalf of the Operations Superintendent. Ensures the quality and timeliness of 48 hour incident reviews. Ensures WIR's are initiated when required.
- Approves procedure revisions prior to Operating Superintendent sign off.
- Approves changes (PSSR) prior to Operating Superintendent sign off
- Ensures shift balancing is taking place with consistency between shift teams
- Identifies operations training needs: (Process, PSM, and HSSE).
- Works with (may give direction to as needed) Prod Team members to provide training to operations as needed when ineffective operating practices are taking place or MOC training needs. Works with Complex Training Specialist to capture learning in unit training material and insure long term sustainability via updating of the 5 year training plan
- The Production Specialist sets expectations and provides a layer of assurance for compliance.
- On behalf of the Operations Superintendent, the Production Specialist leads the Production Team to drive continuous improvement and long term sustainability of the business
- Ensures recurring issues are being addressed by the Production Team
- Insures short term threats to production do not materialize.
- Ensures TAR list reflects unit reliability and operability needs
- Identifies improvement opportunities and projects for reliability, safety, and environmental.
- Ensures unit is represented on Capex and Special projects outside of routine
- The Production Specialist provides leadership to the Production Team to ensure the short and long term plans are delivered
- The Production Specialist is accountable for developing, monitoring, and delivering the operating budget. - High
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor of Science in Engineering preferred
- 8 years of refining/petrochemical plant operations experience is required OR 5 years of refinery or petrochemical plant experience