PROGRAMME CONVENOR (COMMERCE AND LAW) claremont
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
The role of this position is the academic coordination of the existing Faculty of Commerce and Law, relativeQualifications offered by Pearson Institute of Higher Education and CTIEducation Group. The Programme convener is responsible for the quality and success ofall academic activities and services related to allprogrammes on campus.Due to the nature and size of the organisation it is not possible to provide acomprehensive list of all the responsibilities in this role. Responsibilities may change inconsultation with the Head of Programme.
- Implementation and adherence to policies, processes and procedures specific to the Commerce qualifications offered on campus
- Provide academic leadership to lecturing staff and ensure the quality and success of modules provided to all relevant stakeholders.
- Manage, monitor, develop and evaluate the programmes and modules within the Faculty (or across Faculties, depending on campus size and context)
- Liaison with academic colleagues and relevant expertise in the field and industry to ensure ongoing quality service delivery of the modules.
- Coordinate Communities of Practice (CoP) for the respective subject areas on Campus.
- Support research activities as per programme requirements.
- Support structures such as Research Committee and Academic Committee.
- Conduct lecturer evaluations and design developmental interventions to ensure academic quality
- Monitor academic management processes for students.
- Monitor communication to relevant stakeholders (parents, sponsors and students)
- Academic monitoring of the program and respective modules, including but not limited to attendance, lecturer evaluations and module evaluations.
- Control and quality assurance of all academic activities relating to the modules including curriculum development, teaching, assessment and research.
- Participation, where appropriate, in student registration and administration process including the approval of credits, including recognition of prior learning, condonations and exemptions relating to the modules.
- Assistance with the maintenance of student records in co-operation with the Academic Admin Manager / Academic Admin Coordinator and academic administration staff where relevant.
- Participation, where relevant, in campus academic meetings.
- Participation, where relevant, in management meetings.
- Implement and Monitor academic support programs and interventions.
- Manage the exam center and related academic activities.
- Ensure implementation of the student charter.
- Overall management of the qualifications, the resources and operations.
- Chair campus faculty meetings
- Coordinate open days and events in conjunction with Business Development
- Organise workshops and excursions to enhance student experience.
- Arrange Work Integrated Learning (WIL) and other experiential learning opportunities in line with employability framework.
- Coordination of human resources and professional development in the relevant programmes and modules in consultation with the Academic Manager / Academic Coordinator.
- Implementation of appropriate orientation procedures for staff.
- Maintaining policies and procedures.
- Assessment and motivation of lecturers.
- Staff and student communication.
- Ensure strict adherence to the code of conduct for staff.
- Ensure strict adherence to the conditions of enrollment for students.
- Any other responsibilities as reasonably delegated by the Academic Manager / Academic Coordinator
- Relevant administrative, lecturing / practical experience in Higher Education
- Necessary knowledge of Higher Education regulations, practices and processes
Pearson is committed to the principles of employment equity and in accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act and subsequent amendments thereto.
Masters in related field
Primary Location: ZA-ZA-Claremont
Work Locations: ZA-Cape Town-11 Iman Haron Claremont GR10 Brookside Office Park Office, 11 Claremont 7708
Job: Learning Delivery
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 27, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1718979