The Project Development Lead (PDL) is responsible for proposing and advancing large (>$20 million) capital projects at Whiting to deliver the long-term strategic objectives Fuels North America. Working with partners in the Projects, Technical, Commercial, and Asset Teams at Whiting, FNA Strategy, and external consultants, the PDL will create business cases and lead the early project development activities to achieve the long-term strategies of the integrated value chain business. The PDL will also drive the development of a portfolio (totaling >$50 million) of projects for refinery operating complexes. He or she will work with projects team partners to create refinery-wide strategies and practices for improving project delivery and assuring positive project outcomes.
The PDL will be accountable for delivering the following:
Project and Strategic Leadership:
- Leading major projects (>$20 million) through the Appraise and Select stage gates
- Creating and managing a large portfolio (>$50 million) of projects though identification and early development
- Identifying the large, long-term (5+ year) strategic business opportunities at Whiting and Fuels North America and directing the creation of multiple project options to capture them.
- Identifying, securing, and directing resources (e.g., engineering, commercial, technology, external consultants) to evaluate project options and recommend the best solutions based on safety, operational reliability, economics, and technology.
- Driving critical project decisions, including recommendations to progress, kill, or delay projects.
- Flagging the key open scope issues and driving them to timely completion using technical, commercial, and cost evaluations.
- Engaging Gatekeepers regularly and effectively in project development, requesting area support and facilitating decision making forums
- Utilizing the project processes (CVP/PCP) effectively
- Creating and networking key project documents, including Setting Business Priorities, Statement of Requirements, and Basis of Design.
- Partnering with the Projects Team to detect and close general gaps in the project development process
- Working with stakeholders to understand specific unit issues and proposing project options to mitigate them.
- Designing and conducting regular, timely project technical reviews to reveal conceptual and design flaws in project proposals, and intervening to correct these shortcomings
- Owning the success of projects through the Operate stage.
HSSE and Compliance:
- Assure that Inherently Safer Design principles (GP-48-04) are incorporated broadly and effectively into all projects early in the Capital Value Process
- Engage HSSE experts in early project concept discussions to assure we understand the implications of regulations, and follow all legal and internal guidelines in our designs.
- Follow the financial guidelines for project approvals.
- As a member of the Project Development Team, participating in initiatives to identify process safety issues in the refinery and flag them for mitigation.
- Contribute to the catalogue of best practices for project development as our team grows its role in the refinery.
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering required
- Bachelors of Science in Chemical Engineering preferred
- Advanced Engineering Degree or Masters in Business Administration preferred
- Prior refinery operations, technical, commercial, and strategy/project experience preferred (6 years minimum) or other hydrocarbon experience (8 years minimum).