Project Editor – International Curriculum, 12 month FTC
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
As a Project Editor, you will manage a range of print and digital projects in order to produce high-quality educational resources on time and to budget. You will take responsibility for seeing projects through the editorial production phase, and support in-house and freelance publishers in the team in an editorial capacity.
- Undertake project editing on a number of titles. This will include budgeting, scheduling, contracting freelancers then managing those freelancers through the life of the project, selecting images, checking proofs and general project management.
- Maintain and develop a good, wide network with a variety of freelance editorial contacts
- Communicate effectively with editorial, digital and publishing colleagues to ensure consisten quality across IC titles.
- Oversee freelance editing of all stages (including copy-editing, proof-reading and checking of digital assets) to final proofs, briefing freelancers, negotiating fees, answering queries and checking the quality of their work
- Create, manage and update project schedules, liaise and communicate proactively with all project stakeholders
- Monitor and control editorial costs, thinking of new ways to improve cost efficiency through process innovation
- Seek and achieve the best outcomes when negotiating with freelancers to ensure schedules, budgets and quality standards are adhered to
- Ensure that titles are designed to meet the needs of the market and deliver the sources of competitive advantage that have been defined in the commissioning process
- Plan ahead, prioritise workload and monitor progress across a range of projects. Recommend solutions, where possible, to under-and over-resourcing
- Degree level or equivalent qualification
- Demonstrable experience of working in both print and digital formats
- Demonstrable experience of sourcing and managing freelancers (including copy-editors, proofreaders, freelance project managers)
- Experience of and ability to manage budgets and schedules effectively
- Ability to work on own initiative with flexibility
- Ability to work across multiple simultaneous projects to pressured deadlines
- Knowledge of industry-standard copy-editing and proofreading conventions, and permissions and copyright clearance process
- Strong written and oral communication skills - highly developed use of English language, and strong command of spelling and grammar
- Problem-solving ability
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- A good and demonstrable level of competence in MS Office including Excel proficiency
- International curriculum publishing experience
- Experience of project management techniques/strategies
- Experience of using Google docs/Gmail/Google Drive.
Primary Location: GB-GB-Oxford
Work Locations: GB-Oxford-Jordan Hill Halley Court Jordan Hill Oxford OX2 8EJ
Organization: Global Product
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 9, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1802174