Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com) is the global leader in computer-based testing for information technology, academic, government and professional testing programs around the world. Pearson VUE provides a full suite of services from test development to data management, and delivers exams through the world’s most comprehensive and secure network of test centres in more than 180 countries, where we validate the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year. Pearson VUE offers a great environment to start or grow your career, we are now hiring for a Programme Manager to join our team based in Manchester.
This position is responsible for the implementation and ongoing management of Pearson VUE EMEA client engagements, including (but not limited to) the implementation and management of client projects based on the Pearson VUE service offering, ensuring timely delivery of contractually agreed services and solutions to quality and within budget.
Programme Managers also play a significant role during the business development phase - contributing expertise and support for the sales effort, assisting as required in pre-sales activities, proposal development and bid projects to ensure ‘deliverability’ of proposed projects, and managing bid project activities as required. They also play a key role in the ongoing management of the Pearson VUE relationship with prospects and clients.
The Project Manager is responsible for the planning and management of projects on behalf of Pearson VUE, meeting identified business needs, acquiring and utilising the necessary resources and skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales and quality. The origin of projects may be either internal or external and managed to the structure of PRINCE2 methodology.
Managing programmes for Pearson VUE includes development and implementation of customer schedules, deliverables, customer relations and expectations, suppliers, customer and internal reviews/reports, change management and deployment over the project lifecycle.
It involves capturing and clarifying client requirements, setting-up timelines and implementation plans, negotiating priorities and contribution from other teams within the Pearson (VUE) organisation(s), managing and coordinating contribution from 3rd party vendors and suppliers, meeting company and client quality standards, and communicating and reporting both internally and to the client. This is a very hands-on broad role that requires a keen commercial and operational mind.
The Programme Manager must maintain ownership of all project documentation and must retain a constant control of it throughout the life of the project.
The Pearson VUE Programme Manager is further responsible for the day to day function of the client programme, maintaining the relationship with the client and meeting their expectations and those of the business for the duration of the contract.
- Contribute product and service expertise during the business development effort – occasionally including involvement in sales calls and presentations - be a full and credible partner in solution definition and validate Pearson VUE’s capability to deliver.
- Manage bid projects; coordinate the activities of other Pearson VUE operational staff to ensure quality and timely delivery of proposals or similar activities.
- Contribute to project estimation and costing discussions, ensuring that realistic estimates of costs, timescales and resource requirements are agreed.
- Be a good debating partner for the Account Executive/Business Development representative.
- Build relationships with prospects and clients and pro-actively manage expectations.
- Monitoring of Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) where contract applicable
- This role assumes full responsibility for the delivery of high-profile projects, establishing and maintaining the appropriate structures and controls to achieve delivery to agreed timelines, within budget and to quality.
- Clarify (future) client requirements (Scope of Work,) establish and maintain comprehensive project, quality, and risk plans for projects.
- Communicate and negotiate with the client as needed to establish realistic timelines and deliverables within contract specifications.
- Manage Pearson VUE’s relationship with, and the contribution from, 3rd party vendors or sub-contractors during multi-vendor projects. Negotiate, agree and plan any contribution that is required from other teams at Pearson VUE in order to meet agreed deliverables and timescales.
- Identify, manage and monitor all contract or Scope of Work changes, and communicate such changes.
- Proactively manage all project risks and issues and establish procedures to ensure quality standards are being met for project deliverables.
- Monitor progress against project schedules to ensure timely completion of project activities in accordance with project timelines and initiate corrective actions when and where necessary.
- Effectively partner and communicate with the Account Executive in relation to client communications.
- Contribute to project costing and estimation discussions;
- Undertake ad hoc project work as and when may be reasonably requested and directed by line manager.
- Maintain client relationships for the full lifecycle of the contract, beyond the implementation phase and be a trustworthy conduit and point of service escalation between the client and the Pearson VUE business.
- Is a vehicle for programme development, providing suggestion, cost and implementation on services offered by Pearson VUE which will add value to the client programme
- Prepare and maintains realistic and robust project, quality, and risk plans, including plans incorporating sub-projects, and monitors and controls team performance against each plan, providing reports to client/user management and senior management as required.
- Monitor and controls allocated human and material resources, associated revenue costs and all capital costs against the project budget. Ensures that a change control procedure is in place, and actively used to assess the effect of changes to the projects on costs, timescale and/or resource needs and reports these to project sponsors.
- Ensure that the managed service to the client continues in a robust and consistent manner by utilising matrix management skills for interactions with operational, technical support and development teams
- Management and control of external and internal project teams.
- Building and maintaining relationships with both existing and future clients through regular client liaison communication.
- Communicating and negotiating with clients to establish realistic timelines and deliverables within contract specifications.
- Establishing and maintaining project documentation over the life of the project.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience,
- Project Management experience.
- Experience of working in accordance with a project management methodology, preferably PRINCE2.
- Must have strong communication and relationship management skills.
- Experience of leading cross-functional teams.
- Must have successfully led implementations of medium to large cross functional complex projects.
- Should have an understanding of P&L structure, familiarity of cost analysis/pricing and the impact of project actions/decisions on the business.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Project.
- Proficient in the application of methods and techniques for reporting progress and financial compliance against an agreed plan.
- Must be familiar with methods and techniques associated with planning and monitoring progress of projects. i.e. product/work breakdown structures, critical path analysis, earned value, resource analysis, conflict resolution.
- Must be proficient in the identification, assessment and management of project risks, which could result in time or cost over-runs, or failure to deliver products which are fit for purpose.
- Comfortably and efficiently work remotely from the wider Programme Management team, using available technology to find the right level of communication and interaction to be and keep others informed and involved.
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good technical aptitude and thinking
- Efficient negotiation, listening and influencing skills to create and maintain successful business relationships;
- Strong commercial sense coupled with common sense as well as a balanced and pragmatic approach;
- Clean driving license and valid non-restricted passport.
- Preferred skills
- A recognized Project Management methodology qualification (ideally PRINCE2) is desirable
- UK Based: Monday to Friday 09:00 to 17:30 hours, with a commitment to peak time requirement as may be required to fulfil project needs. There may be a requirement to travel nationally (within the region) and internationally.
- Salary - Up to £40,000 depending on experience
Primary Location: GB-Greater Manchester
Organization: Assessments VUE
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jun 8, 2018
Job Unposting: Jun 18, 2018
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1806870
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.