Project Manager, Sustainability (3-month Contract)
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s 2020 Sustainability Plan was developed to address social, environmental and economic issues that affect our stakeholders and business as well as contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Plan includes three pillars: 1) Reach more learners by improving education access and progress for underserved learners; 2) Shape the Future of Learning by preparing learners for the changing world of work and contributing to more inclusive societies; and 3) Be a Trusted Partner by ensuring responsible business practices.
* Position Purpose: *
The Sustainability & Social Impact (SSI) team is part of Pearson’s Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing (GCAM) group. GCAM focuses on building relationships and strengthening Pearson’s reputation with key stakeholders, including customers and learners, policymakers, investors, influencers, and our employees. The SSI team works collaboratively with teams across Pearson to ensure business strategies, practices, and processes contribute to addressing the social, environmental and economic needs of society in a way that also creates business value.
We are looking for a temporary project manager (3-month contract) to focus on thought leadership, reporting and communications projects outlined below. We seek candidates with a strong background in communications and sustainability, ideally encompassing education issues (access, success, equity), and experience managing projects with diverse, high-level stakeholders across sectors (e.g., business, higher education, international organizations).
Collaboration, partnership and active stakeholder management is foundational to success in this role. Thriving in an evolving environment, working to drive innovation, and continuous improvement for efficiency and sustainable growth is key.
Program and project management
Thought leadership on Education for Sustainable Development (approx 50%)
● Manage delivery of thought leadership/advocacy project, including a report and supporting materials, which will involve facilitating collaboration with and management of external partner leading development of project deliverables.
○ Manage engagement and collaboration with project partners and stakeholders.
○ Inform, shape and review content, positioning and messaging for deliverables.
○ Own and lead report launch communications, stakeholder outreach and event planning.
● Support business engagement and collaboration related to socializing and developing findings of strategy project to identify business opportunities for ESD.
Sustainability report website development (approx 25%)
● Lead development of updated Sustainability section on pearson.com website.
● Manage project development and implementation by Pearson web team.
* Communications, analysis and support * ( approx 25%)
● Develop a one-year (approx.) integrated communications strategy, plan and metrics for improving reach and engagement with key internal and external stakeholders across sectors, working both through broader Pearson channels as well as sustainability-focused channels
● As needed, manage ongoing sustainability-related communications and employee/stakeholder engagement through collaboration with GCAM team.
● As needed, conduct data analysis and support project workstreams, business engagement and delivery of Sustainability Plan.
● Provide limited support on project administration.
○Manage engagement and collaboration with project partners and stakeholders.○Inform, shape and review content, positioning and messaging for deliverables.○Own and lead report launch communications, stakeholder outreach and event planning.●Support business engagement and collaboration related to socializing and developing findings of strategy project to identify business opportunities for ESD.Sustainability report website development (approx 25%)●Lead development of updated Sustainability section on pearson.com website.●Manage project development and implementation by Pearson web team.Communications, analysis and support(approx 25%)●Develop a one-year (approx.) integrated communications strategy, plan and metrics for improving reach and engagement with key internal and external stakeholders across sectors, working both through broader Pearson channels as well as sustainability-focused channels●As needed, manage ongoing sustainability-related communications and employee/stakeholder engagement through collaboration with GCAM team.●As needed, conduct data analysis and support project workstreams, business engagement and delivery of Sustainability Plan.●Provide limited support on project administration.
* Key Attributes: *
● Degree (or equivalent experience) in communications, sustainability, education or a related discipline preferred.
● Understanding of sustainability and education issues.
● Experience of:
○ managing collaboration and influencing business partners across diverse business functions and sectors
○ managing social impact programs and partnerships
○ managing complex, long-term projects
○ working in a large, global organization
● * Project Management & Execution – * Excellent organizational skills, with proven ability to set priorities, manage deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously and within budget.
● * Communication – * Strong work experience in communications, thought leadership and advocacy. Excellent verbal, writing and presentation skills.
● * Developing & Leveraging Relationships – * Collaborative approach, with a strong interest in working across cultures and teams; ability to lead through influencing; a track record of building trust and sustaining excellent internal and external relationships; and comfort interfacing with all levels of management.
● * Data Analysis – * Experience analyzing and presenting data related to education and sustainability or sustainable development.
● * Judgement – * Sound judgement in assessing business risks and opportunities, and making decisions that balance a variety of considerations whilst maintaining the integrity of the core values and business strategy.
● * Brave * - Resilient – operating under pressure and to tight deadlines
● * Accountable * - Integrity & Delivers what is promised;
● * Decent * – represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission, is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources
● * Imaginative * – finds insights to tell Pearson’s story and tells compelling stories simply.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-NY-New York
Other Locations GB-GB-London
Work Locations: US-NY-New York-330 Hudson 330 Hudson Street New York 10013
Organization: Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jul 30, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Temporary
Req ID: 1810984
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled