Project Process Control Engineer works closely with the Project Teams, and Area Process Control Engineer to take the lead role on Process Control decisions. They should have a strong track record of delivery and partnering with key stakeholders.
Project Process Control Engineer is also accountable for development, improvement, and facilitation of the Process Control Engineer training program to existing and development PCE team members.
- Provide engineering support for scope development, planning, and implementation of the new Control Systems as well as upgrade program for existing control systems.
- Serve as a primary contact for projects impacting the control systems and effectively leads large teams to deliver desired business outcomes. This includes managing the relationship/deliverables from control vendors and contractors to ensure BP is receiving the value it should from these arrangements.
- Serve as/provides conduit to internal and external technical resource to properly identify new and existing equipment specifications and proper operating parameters/ranges for Instrumentation equipment.
- Leads and drives performance in the automation aspect of significant projects to ensure front end loading and scope of capital projects adequate. This involves developing teams to work very closely together from Operations, Process, Process Safety Teams, Area Process Control Engineer, and external technical authorities.
- Identify and implements opportunities to improve safe and reliable operations through project work.
- Actively and purposefully works with peers in other sites to drive standardization, simplification, and learnings between sites
- Participate in the HAZOP/LOPA/MOC related to Projects.
- Ensure process control scope is properly addressed throughout the Capital Value Process by driving CVP compliance with respect to automation with Project team and contractors.
- Continuing development of both small and large Project and TAR Process Control CVP/TVP processes defining each project stages’ process control deliverables including work load estimations for all disciplines and contractors
- Support documentation systems and processes that maintain accurate Process Control equipment information and drawings.
- Drives the relationships between vendors/contractors (both on-site and off-site) to deliver business goals
- Actively participates in the Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) and Site Acceptance Test (SAT).
- Lead and partner with the Use Interface Specialist to design new operator graphics.
- Lead and partner with the Process Control Hardware and Computer Network Specialists to ensure optimized design and function of new and upgraded control systems.
- Identify, develop, and execute as appropriate Board Operator and DCS Specialist training requirements for the process control portion of capital projects.
- Build upon, improve, and organize our development training material and program striving for consistently skilled and motivated team of control engineers providing process control support to the refinery and projects.
- Provide coaching and development to the new engineers to prepare them for future roles as process control engineers.
BS in engineering OR 15 years control engineering experience required
- 3 years+ experience in Process Control Engineering related roles.
- 7 years+ experience in Refinery/Process operations and/or Project experience
- Deep technical knowledge and leadership in the Process Control discipline area.
- Experience with Distributed Control systems, Programmable Logic Controllers, and Operator interface systems, and instrumentation from major suppliers, such as Honeywell TDC 2000/3000, Experion, and Emerson DeltaV.
- Working knowledge of Excel, MS Office, Honeywell CL, and SAP maintenance related functions.
- Background and project execution experience.
- Understanding of safety risk mitigation methodologies associated with the implementation of new technology options within projects e.g. HAZOP, LOPA etc.
- Ability to work well with a wide range of disciplines and management, external partners, regulators and contractors.
- Additional engineering experience to include process safety and/or operations.
- Self motivated, accustomed to being in positions of responsibility and accountability.
- Good planning, communication skills and team work.
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks & responsibilities.