Assisting the Corporate Property Surveying team in their efficient management of Defra’s property and workspaces portfolio, you will take on a broad array of tasks such as inspecting land, calculating the area of occupancy, or reducing vacant space by negotiating terms of inter-government occupancy agreements. You will therefore:
· Support the property needs of colleagues undertaking activities in England, Scotland and Wales (with an emphasis on the former), travelling to these destinations as required.
· Apply your understanding of land law, tenancies and commercial property management practices to a range of challenges such as rent reviews, lease breaks, asset valuation, property management and business rates mitigation.
· Support Senior Surveyors in transactional activity. This will include property acquisitions and disposals, occupancy consent and lease renewal negotiations. You will also take responsibility for small property transactions and commission estate management and transactional advisors.
· Undertake property inspections to support estate management issues. You will also be tasked with validating occupations and property information.
· Inform estate management actions, gathering and analysing data to ensure the best business decisions are being made. Within this part of your role, you will also provide oversight of tenants and tenancies, reporting on any non-compliance issues.
This is a fast-paced team that works collaboratively to achieve consistently high-quality results. To thrive with us you will have a comprehensive understanding of tenancies and tenancy documents, plus land law and commercial property management practice. We will expect you to assist with dispute resolution between land owners and occupiers, so great communication and negotiation skills are essential. Degree-qualified, you will also have a strong track-record in property management and transactional activity. Crucially, you will be enthusiastic about the myriad of opportunities we can offer you, and you will enjoy learning in this busy, multi-layered role.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development from quality providers and support from mentors and coaches. We offer flexible working alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.