Qualifications Product Developer
We have two exciting opportunities within our talented General Qualifications (GQ) Product team.
Our team is responsible for leading the strategy for school-level academic qualifications - primarily GCSE and A level and international GCSE and international A level - and for providing outstanding support for our customers.
Two Qualification Product Developer roles are available - one for Science and one for International. The core purpose of these roles is to deliver outstanding customer-focused products (including specifications, Sample Assessment Materials and support) - as part of a dynamic team.
Please note that the Science role requires subject specialism. International experience is desirable for the International role. Experience of working in qualification development and a regulated environment are essential, and teaching experience is desirable.
- To scope and collaboratively design and develop qualifications, sample assessments and support that inspire teachers, engage learners and enable progression - working in close collaboration with partnership teams.
- To lead and own facilitation and management of development process, plus sign-off / accreditation of academic qualifications - to ensure projects are delivered to time, cost and quality criteria. To lead and own project management of key elements of the surrounding proposition (e.g. EAMs and exemplars).
- To own specific aspects of research - including design and implementation of research activity to improve customer experience and design of a specific qualification.
- To develop and manage specific elements of product surround (e.g. EAMs, specimen papers, surrounding materials, national programme), in collaboration with colleagues where appropriate.
- To understand customer needs and market dynamics in a subject/s, to develop market-winning products in support of the subject strategy.
- To understand teaching, learning and assessment in a subject/s, through close and continuous liaison with a range of subject stakeholders.
- To contribute to subject strategy development and execution and to cross-GQ strategy and innovation strands - including leading key aspects of identified pilot activities.
- To provide a best-in-class customer experience through the qualification, events, free surround and additional services that we provide at launch and throughout the lifecycle, continually improving that experience in a subject/s.
- Where relevant, to provide deep subject expertise to build the strength of our subject leadership, strategy and implementation. Ensure subject voice is represented in all role accountabilities. Subject specialism is required for Science. Flexibility and potential to work across broader subjects is also required.
- Develop and maintain subject and market insight
- Develop and maintain evidence base of learner needs in subjects through a continuous programme of research with teachers, stakeholders and learners themselves.
- Develop and maintain evidence base of teacher/centre needs and behaviours, including teacher needs and behaviours at a subject level.
- With support, develop and maintain relationships with subject stakeholders throughout the life of a qualification, to build an evidence base for criteria/AO drafting, qualification developments and annual reviews through the lifecycle
- Develop and maintain insight into best practice (pedagogy, assessment) at subject level.
- Manage the design, development and accreditation process for market winning academic qualifications and for key elements of the surrounding proposition
- Project manage the design and development of qualifications and sample assessment materials from concept to launch - in support of the subject strategy.
- Lead on scoping projects, including leading and facilitating effective collaboration with colleagues to define the design of qualifications and sample assessments - and in line with the subject strategy.
- Manage the submission and accreditation / sign-off process for qualifications and sample assessments and secure accreditation - including reviewing materials, ongoing content research and development to ensure they are fully in line with teacher, learner and Ofqual / wider stakeholder requirements and our strategy.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the business, drawing upon the various technical and customer expertise available and, where necessary, liaising with external agencies and stakeholders to inform the design and development of qualifications.
- With colleagues, recruit, train, manage and evaluate writers and subject specialists, ensuring that they are on brief and deliver content to the requisite quality on time.
- With colleagues, being responsible for engaging with assessment teams to inform the set up and support the first time delivery of new qualifications.
- To develop, own and implement amendments for the lifecycle of the qualification.
- As part of an integrated team - and in partnership with colleagues across the business, support innovation projects to improve customer experience, the nature, profile and quality of our products (including specifications) and the success of our propositions.
- Contribute to innovation and improvement in our processes across teams.
- Support teachers and learners through the lifecycle - including through effective research, competitor analysis and development of support materials
- Implement improved monitoring of customer experience at regular points through the lifecycle (from NPS tracking to regular, in-depth qualitative insight).
- Run research initiatives as appropriate to understand customer context / needs and competitive context in order to shape improved propositions, support and services.
- Work with colleagues from across the business to deliver a strong customer experience of our general qualifications, to deliver consistently high satisfaction levels, and to attract new centres.
- Commission high-quality free surround and support services at launch and throughout the lifecycle as part of a coherent, integrated proposition across free and paid-for.
- Work effectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support of Pearson Schools strategy both in the UK and internationally
- Champion a ‘Customer First’ culture within the business, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to the needs of our customers and learners.
- Experience of design and development of qualifications, products or curricula.
- Strong project management experience - with demonstrable track record of delivering high quality (in customer and regulator terms) products to time, cost and quality requirements.
- Experience of working within education sector.
- Understanding of education assessment, practice and policy.
- For Science - strong subject understanding and experience of working effectively and credibly with subject specialist teachers. (Flexibility and potential to work across broader subjects where specialism is not required also remains a requirement of the role.)
- Experience of working effectively in a complex matrix.
- Experience of presenting to / training / supporting subject specialist teachers.
- Experience of working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience of customer research scoping, implementation and analysis of results to inform activities and propositions.
- Experience of developing and implementing customer-focused strategies.
- Experience of working within a regulated environment.
- Direct teaching or training experience.
SKILLS and BEHAVIOURS
- Qualification and product development skills.
- Project management skills.
- Customer empathy.
- Can-do attitude.
- Ability to lead and influence.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Creative thinking.
- Ability to deliver.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 17, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1807596
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.