Qualifications Product Manager -FTC
We are Pearson, the world’s leading learning company and we are looking for an energetic and proactive Product Manager who has a passion for education. You’ll be part of the Non- Core team, managing our GCSE and A level qualifications through their lifecycle; from inception, through development and into the day-to-day provision of support for our qualifications. You’ll work with teachers, and stakeholders at Pearson and within education.
Responsibilities of a Qualifications Product Manager include;
- To maintain a deep understanding of customer needs and market dynamics, to create compelling propositions and inform market-winning product development.
- To contribute to subject strategy development and execution, with support and in partnership with broader portfolio team.
- To maintain a deep understanding of teaching, learning and assessment, through close and continuous liaison with a range of subject stakeholders.
- To provide a best-in-class customer experience through the events, free surround and additional services that we provide at launch and throughout the lifecycle, continually improving that experience.
- To scope, design and collaboratively develop qualifications and sample assessments that inspire teachers, engage learners and enable progression.
- To contribute to the overall strategy for growth of our academic qualifications portfolio in the UK and internationally.
- Provide deep subject expertise to build the strength of our subject leadership, strategy and implementation. Ensure subject voice is represented in all role accountabilities. Subject specialism is required for the key subjects.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Developing strategy and propositions, managing budgets, forecasting revenues
- Manage qualifications through their lifecycle, working in conjunction with the subject Head of and the Senior Qualification Manager to make well-timed decisions about withdrawal, extension, redevelopment, new market entry and strategies for mid-cycle growth
- Develop winning subject propositions (at launch and mid-cycle), with clear USPs
- Based on ongoing research, identify and implement innovations to improve our proposition
- With support, generate compelling business cases for qualifications at different stages of the product life cycle
- Track, analyse and respond to competitor activity
- Manage opex and capex budgets for given qualifications
- Contribute to compiling one- and three-year forecasts for subject/s as part of our annual planning cycle.
Developing and maintaining subject and market insight
- Develop and maintain an in-depth evidence base of learner needs in each subject through a continuous programme of research with teachers, stakeholders and learners themselves
- Develop and maintain an in-depth evidence base of teacher/centre needs and behaviours in each subject, including teacher needs and behaviours at a subject level
- With support, develop and maintain relationships with subject stakeholders throughout the life of a qualification, to build an evidence base for criteria/AO drafting, qualification developments and annual reviews through the lifecycle
- Develop and maintain insight into best practice (pedagogy, assessment) at subject level.
Briefing, developing and launching new qualifications
- Contribute to creating models and co-create design plans for qualifications that draw from a strong, research-driven evidence base, and deliver the strategy and proposition agreed (for both UK and international markets where appropriate)
- Contribute to qualification developments through the writing, submission and resubmission process (e.g. helping to source and brief writers, reviewing materials, ongoing content research and development) to ensure they are fully in line with teacher, learner and Ofqual requirements and our strategy
- With support, work with sales and marketing colleagues to devise and implement an effective data-driven campaign strategy and customer journey
- Plan, commission and/or deliver customer-facing events and networks; recruit, train and deploy credible specialists.
Supporting teachers and learners through the lifecycle
- Implement improved monitoring of customer experience at regular points through the lifecycle (from NPS tracking to regular, in-depth qualitative insight)
- Work with colleagues across the business to instigate a step-change in the customer experience of our general qualifications, to deliver consistently high satisfaction and retention levels, and to systematically attract new business
- Anticipate and meet customer needs better than our competitors, commissioning high-quality free surround and support services at launch and throughout the lifecycle as part of a coherent, integrated proposition across free and paid-for (to support both UK and international customers).
- Work effectively in virtual teams with colleagues across Pearson to ensure a positive working culture, in support of Pearson Schools strategy both in the UK and internationally
- Champion a ‘Customer First’ culture within the business, ensuring that all decisions are made with reference to the needs of our customers and learners.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
- Experience of working within education sector.
- Understanding of education assessment, practice and policy.
- Strong subject understanding and experience of working effectively and credibly with subject specialist teachers.
- Experience of developing and implementing effective, winning strategies.
- Experience of working effectively in a complex matrix.
- Experience of presenting to / training / supporting subject specialist teachers.
- Experience in partnering effectively with sales and marketing teams.
- Experience of working with internal and external stakeholders.
- Project Management
- Design and development of qualifications and sample assessment experience.
- Direct teaching or training experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of assessment techniques and principles.
SKILLS and BEHAVIOURS
- Commercial acumen.
- Customer empathy.
- Can-do attitude.
- Ability to lead and influence.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Creative thinking.
- Ability to deliver.
- Attention to detail.
- Financial planning skills - managing forecasts and budgets.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Job: Product Management
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 28, 2019
Job Unposting: Feb 27, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1816123
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.