Contract type: Permanent, full time
Reports to: Head of Education
The Premier League Youth Department is responsible for the delivery of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP), a long-term development plan with the aim of: 1) developing More and Better Home Grown Players, capable of playing in the most competitive and compelling football competition in the world; 2) ensuring positive development outcomes for all Academy Players, regardless of whether they become professionals or not.
An exciting opportunity to join our team as the newly formed position of Quality, Teaching and Learning Manager has become available. The successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the continued delivery of high-quality educational teaching and learning within Premier League Clubs, to set high expectations, create the conditions for effective teaching and learning to flourish and to evaluate the effectiveness of learning outcomes.
Who we are
The Premier League is home to some of the most competitive and compelling football in the world. The League and its clubs use the power and popularity of the competition to inspire fans, communities and partners in the UK and across the world. The Premier League brings people together from all backgrounds. It is a competition for everyone, everywhere and is available to watch in over 1 billion homes in 189 countries.
We have a wide variety of responsibilities. These include organising the competition and its Rule Book as well as managing the centralised broadcast and commercial rights. The work we do in conjunction with the Clubs also goes far beyond the 90 minutes. We support and provide a framework for youth development, we protect the organisation’s intellectual property, support the wider game and community programmes, undertake international development work and liaise with governing bodies and other leagues.
Working closely with the Head of Education and Head of Apprenticeships and Academic Progression, you will have responsibility for further developing and improving the quality of education throughout our Clubs for the benefit of all learners. This will be achieved through the effective implementation of the League’s Quality Improvement Plan, encompassing all aspects of educational delivery across each of the academy development phases and training models.
You will also be responsible for leading the curriculum, assessment and development of Vocational, A Level and other education programmes offered to scholars and young professionals. In addition, you will develop and oversee programmes and initiatives that promote the quality of teaching and learning and professional learning opportunities for teaching staff in Clubs.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- To lead the Premier League’s support of quality, teaching, learning and assessment within Club Academies in a systematic, innovative and inspiring way.
- To take an active role in the development of robust self-assessment and quality improvement planning across Clubs.
- Develop pedagogical approaches and professional learning opportunities across Clubs, to facilitate high quality teaching and learning.
- Produce the annual self-assessment report.
- Work with the Head of Apprenticeships and Academic Progression to manage the quality assurance aspects of the Sporting Excellence Professional Apprenticeship, BTEC National in Sport Excellence and Performance and A Level qualification within clubs, to include the quality of learner’s work, progress and outcomes.
- Oversee the Lead Internal Verification (IV) processes for the BTEC National in Sport Qualification(s).
- Manage and lead delivery staff, implementing robust systems to ensure the requirements of the awarding organisations and Premier League quality standards are consistently met.
- Work with the Premier League Education Advisers to establish good practice guidance for educational delivery within part-time, hybrid and full-time training models to support effective academic progression at Key stage 2, 3 and 4.
- To analyse performance and report on progress against Key Performance indicators/targets to the Education team.
- Actively support the professional development of educational delivery staff.
Leadership and management of curriculum and qualifications
- Support the Head of Education and Head of Apprenticeships and Academic Progression with setting key priorities for formal and informal teaching and learning across Clubs, to embed consistency and high expectations of delivery across all key stages that drive learner progress and outcomes.
- Manage effective standards verification processes in accordance with the awarding organisation, qualification requirements and Premier League standards.
- Adhere to awarding organisations’ quality assurance requirements through effective management of delivery staff and assessors.
- Oversee the management and coordination of teams of BTEC IV’s, Apprenticeship Internal quality assessors and A Level tutors.
- To liaise with MIS, Exams/Learner Records and the Awarding Organisations to ensure effective, efficient unit/qualification claims, particularly in relation to the designated curriculum area.
- Ensure consistent and rigorous marking and feedback processes for BTEC and A Level qualification, supported by opportunities for standardisation and moderation, in accordance with awarding bodies procedure and internal verification.
- Establish and implement an observation of teaching, learning and assessment procedure throughout the Clubs
- Carry out sample visits to monitor and standardise teaching and learning practice.
- Chair the education department Quality Improvement Group (QIG).
- Ensure the Premier League is always Ofsted inspection ready, being proactive in responding to new updates and requirements of qualifications.
- Support with developing improvement strategies that address the key priorities set by the Premier League, committing to driving continual improvement.
- Work with BTEC tutors and Core Programme Coordinators (CPCs) staff to prepare them for external observations.
Monitoring, evaluating and reporting learner performance
- Implement a centralised system for monitoring learner progress and outcomes.
- Use assessment data to make comparative evaluation of learner performance in the subject area and across teaching groups.
- Setting and monitoring clear targets and interventions for learners as necessary in conjunction with Clubs and Education Support Managers (ESMs).
- Support ESMs to ensure triangulation of communication between staff/coaches, learners and parents/carers.
- Support excellence in learner, parent/carer and Club voice, through effective survey administration and implementation.
- Implement Premier League policies that record apprentice progress, internal and external examinations, overseeing their application and analysing achievement.
- To assist in the process of curriculum development and change to ensure the continued relevance to the needs of learners, examining and awarding bodies, the department mission and strategic objectives.
- Manage and promote a breadth of learning opportunities for Post 16 scholars/apprentices, facilitating Level 3 BTEC, Apprenticeship and A Level options for study.
- Support the development of a personal development curriculum for Academy Players in the U19-U23 age groups.
- Ensure the educational curriculum develops the learner’s knowledge, skills and behaviours necessary for progression to employment or further study.
- Maintain subject qualification currency by actively seeking information regarding updates or changes to all qualifications. Lead and manage staff development in accordance to any qualification updates.
- Develop regional teaching and learning hubs to support pedagogical development within Clubs.
- Design and implement regular regional and national CPD opportunities through the organisation.
- Implement a range of teaching and learning strategies and research engagement to inform exceptional practice.
- Draw upon strengths of delivery staff to develop coaching and leadership opportunities that grow and develop staff to enhance exceptional practice.
- Align new staff to Premier League standards and key priorities.
- Update staff on Ofsted requirements and key priorities.
- Research, maintain and continue the development of educational resources for all qualifications.
- Contribute as appropriate to the planning processes, operational and development plans and other strategic and operational issues.
- At all times, support, promote and help to enrich learners’ education and professional development.
- Promote effective Club/school liaison practice with primary and secondary schools where necessary to identify learner needs and support with required interventions.
- Support and promote the Premier League’s commitment to Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity and Health and Safety. Comply with and support Premier League policies and procedures and undergo all relevant training in these key areas.
Requirements for the role
- Understanding of education across primary, secondary, further and higher education
- Knowledge of School/College quality policies and procedures
- Understanding of BTEC, Apprenticeship and A Level qualification
- High level understanding of pedagogy
- High level understanding of professional learning opportunities
- Team player with high emotional intelligence, who seeks and acts on feedback.
- Able to demonstrate high level interpersonal dexterity to work effectively within an interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritise
- Honesty and Integrity
- Able to synthesise and clearly present decisions with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to think critically and work strategically
- Demonstrate high levels of resilience
- Able to act independently on project based and analytical tasks
- Strong competence of working with MS Office (esp. PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel)
- Comfortable working in an agile way, and with change and uncertainty
- Able to work in a high-performance environment and deliver against challenging deadlines
- Willingness to learn new approaches and adapt to different working styles.
- Self-motivated and goal-orientated
- Fluency in English
- Teaching and Learning responsibility across a learning organisation
- NPQSL/ML or other similar qualifications
- Experience of supporting the development of quality systems.
- Recent and relevant experience of teaching and delivering BTEC and A Level qualification
- Lead IV and QMR experience
- AASE or Apprenticeship delivery experience
- Experience of leading a department within a learning organisation
- Track record of managing multi-stakeholder relationships
- Educated to a minimum undergraduate degree level
- Hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- Ability to work in the UK is required
- Safeguarding and Protecting children
- DBS Clearance
?Nice-to-haves for the role
- Previous experience of delivering education to children and young adults in football or other elite environments
- Experience in professional sport
- Specialist Leader of Education (SLE)
The Premier League is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. All appointments will be made based on merit.
To apply please visit our careers page (https://premierleague.pinpointhq.com) and apply with your CV and a cover letter. The closing date for applications is Monday 25 January 2021.