Research Lead, UK Business
We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world's innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Ideal candidates should have a contagious passion for research - as well as a keen interest in our mission and business -empowering progress through lifelong learning.
We are looking for a highly experienced insights and strategy consultant to partner with our UK business, setting the research agenda and providing insights to support the go-to-market positioning and strategy and new product and service investment. You will partner closely with the senior leadership team, having a “seat at the table” with senior leaders to build the necessary insights to facilitate decision making. You MUST be a master storyteller, a persuasive communicators, and be able to get beyond the mechanics of running research projects.
Reporting directly to the US-based, VP, Global Research & Insights, you will be a key leader and part of a centralized function with a dotted line to a specific business unit and willberesponsible for building partner recommendations through market and industry analysis, customer insights, competitive assessment, and market research.
You will be expected to identify cross functional needs around the organization to help break down siloes and curate insights in a way that are relevant to the different functional teams.
Note that because this position is based in London, which is also our global headquarters, you will expected to be highly visible. This is a senior, strategic role, that requires a lot of confidence in analyzing and synthesizing insights on the fly, with facetime in front of our C-level, at conferences and investors. This person has to be good at observing not just findings from various research projects, but also in reading and listening and understanding what is happening in our business across geographies and business units. The person has to be confident in their ability to look beyond specific research projects and actually give our senior leaders advice across the business both formally and informally.
We are looking for someone who can confidently talk about different methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative as well as advanced analytics - and the right scenarios by which to use which methodology to solve a particular business problem, but still be able to talk about research in a way that the uninitiated can understand the rigor behind what we do, without getting stuck in the weeds. This person must have experience in training and building high-performing teams to do the same.
This is an exciting, newly established role that will play a huge part in growing Pearson’s culture as an insights-led organization and input to the overall Pearson strategic direction.Because this will be a newly formed organization, you should be comfortable in a startup environment, and be willing to roll up your sleeves and wear multiple, everchanging hats as we get the new function up and running.
K* *ey Responsibilities:
- Develop ongoing outreach and engagement with clients on specific business issues beyond the scope of specific research projects, including: workshops, show and tells, white papers, presenting at leadership meetings, investor meetings, etc.
- Proactively identify needs for research to address specific business issues
- Proactively synthesize and bring strategic insights to the business unit based on issues that are integral to the business
- identify needs for primary research (qualitative, quantitative) as well as executing and analyzing said research in a compelling way that paints a full picture for leadership
- Work closely with with other members of the Market Research and Insights team to ensure that research agenda is closely aligned and ladders up to the strategic vision for the company
- Conduct industry, market, and competitive analysis and reporting on findings in an effort to strategically maintain or place Pearson at the front of the competition
- Stay abreast of internal Pearson product portfolios, organizational initiatives, internal capabilities and stakeholders needs
- Manage a team of researchers who are dedicated to the business unit a well as additional “flex” researchers on a project-by-project basis
- Champion data-driven decision making and raise the relevance of Insights across Pearson by constantly using insights to engage with other stakeholders and build relationships within the organization
- Continually use data and insights to push leaders beyond conventional thinking and identify new areas of opportunity or potential threats to the business
- Strong writing, communication and presentation skills - with the ability to distill complex data and insights into something digestible and interesting that someone could absorb in 5 minutes
- Substantial experience in managing high-performing teams, developing talent, and client development (sales experience a plus)
- Senior roles in client management in marketing, market research, consumer insights, consulting, operations and/or communications
- Must have demonstrated expertise with quantitative survey design and management, as well as advanced data analysis skills, gained from at least eight years of experience in designing and leading research studies (preferably in the market research industry).
- Must be a recognized expert in a wide variety of research methodologies and advanced analyses, including market segmentation and classification, driver analysis, landscape mapping, and conjoint studies and regression analysis.
- Deep understanding of research methods (qualitative, quantitative) as well as emerging methods (social listening, syndicated reports, analytics)
- Must be highly skilled at working with clients, including those from various backgrounds and with differing business needs. This person must be capable of providing clients with high-quality consultation versus being an order-taker, truly operating as a strategic partner
- Strong account management background, including past experience managing client accounts and business development, and selling people on a point of view
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to influence and build credibility; team oriented, collaborative, diplomatic, and flexible
- Bachelor's degree minimum; Advanced degree or MBA preferred
- Higher / professional education, tech experience, and/or agency experience preferred
- Proven record of leadership and success
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships- You will have a robust network of internal and external relationships which you’re able to flex strategically and openly to accomplish objectives, in addition to a track record of building and sustaining excellent internal relationships, at all levels
- Communication- You have developed powerful interpersonal skills and are able to use these to influence outcomes by communicating with persuasiveness and candour with an engaging and energetic personality. You appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt your style and approach accordingly.
- Analytical Skill and Learning Agility– You demonstrate this by taking a systematic, structured view of situations, deconstructing them into their fundamental elements while staying focused on the big picture. In addition, you have the capacity to be open, persuaded by new information, and you are comfortable at exploring areas where there are no right answers.
- Global Perspective– You have significant experience of operating within a truly global environment and are able to demonstrate international cultural agility.
- Business Acumen –Experience, insight and knowledge mean you are able to understand the long term market potential and translate this into the corporate vision. You have the breadth to anticipate future opportunities and curate insights in a way that they are relevant to the different functional teams.
- Judgment– You demonstrate sound thinking in recommending approaches and assessing business risks and you make decisions that balance a variety of factors and considerations whilst always maintaining the integrity of the core values and business strategy.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Organization: Global Corporate Affairs & Marketing
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Aug 15, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1811546
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.