The Rotating Subject Matter Expert (SME) acts as the site technical authority for process rotating equipment including Pumps, Compressors, Turbines, Turbo-Generators and Fans for the Whiting Business Unit.
The Rotating SME is expected to own the equipment strategies for rotating equipment, optimize the life cycle plans, improve mechanical availability and integrity of rotating equipment, and reduce lost opportunity impacts.
The Rotating SME is the author and owner of the Whiting Business Unit STPs for rotating equipment.
The SME reports to the Reliability Superintendent. The SME works in close co-ordination with the Rotating Equipment Group (REG) and the Rotating Equipment Superintendent. The SME will primarily interact with Unit Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Inspection, Projects, Operations, Maintenance, and TAR.
- Authors and approves STP's
- Interprets and applies code standards and specifications for application
- Acts as technical reviewer for job notes, scope or work and design review for new equipment.
- Develops and leverages relationships with other technical experts both internally (RTE and other BU's) and externally to BP
- Reviews and approves engineered SMI's
- Identifies and considers new technologies with Refining Technology & Engineering (RTE) collaboration.
- Provides input to equipment operating envelopes
- Performs support fitness for service evaluations
- Serves as technical authority review for deferrals (Over speed and pressure boundary inspection)
- Leads and supports significant RCAs and Incident investigations
- Provides expert support and advise to Rotating Equipment Engineering and Asset Teams.
- Develops and executes long term equipment reliability plans and defect elimination
- Disseminates industry practices through equipment strategies
- Recommends PM requirements
- Analyzes metrics pertaining to rotating equipment
- Develops mitigation plans for specific equipment into the unit risk plans
- Identifies risks on the unit risk lists
- Analyzes the availability data for rotating equipment and classes
- Champions equipment condition monitoring activities and new technology implementation.
- With the relevant asset team, identifies reliability/availability improvement type projects and develops initial justification, incentives and business value to support the funding request.
- Initiates project requests for both reliability improvement and equipment replacements "end of life" type projects
- Has familiarity of all refinery reliability project work in business development or active CVP stages relating to rotating equipment
- Provides input/feedback into new technology identification, development, and selection
- Provides expert support and advise to the Project department
- Expected to play a leading role in the coaching and development of rotating engineers at Whiting Refinery
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
- Extensive technical and practical experience in rotating equipment including;
- Compressors (Centrifugal and Reciprocating)
- Mechanical seals
- Strong reliability engineering experience
- Minimum of ten years rotating equipment engineering experience in petrochemical/ refining environments