Senior Assessment Specialist - ELA
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always re-examining the way people learn best, whether it’s one child in our own backyard or an education community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
- Development and review of English Language Arts items for large-scale assessments; evaluation of passages for use in large-scale assessments; interpretation of blueprints, and the construction of operational and field tests.
- Involvement in standards interpretation, application of best practices in item and test development, facilitation of committees, and alignment determinations.
- Position requires skills in grammar, editing, and communications with internal and external customers.
- Facilitate, maintain and oversee content development in English Language Arts, Reading, Writing and/or Communications (Listening/Speaking); item writing and item and data review sessions; and provides content expertise during those sessions as necessary.
- Develop item, passage, and test specifications documents as necessary. Assist in developing and conducting the item-writer training for development workshops. Perform passage research according to required specifications as needed.
- Select, assign and manage subcontracted item and content development via item writers.
- Review and edit test items developed by contractors during the item writing and review workshops.
- Classify test items according to pre-specified content dimensions. Ensure the accuracy of item content coding, keying, and item validations.
- Provide references in support of the use of each item (i.e. for the correct response and the incorrect response alternatives) as well as source references and copyright research.
- Consult with the customer as required, including participation in planning, status, review meetings, etc.
- Participate in test construction activities, including meeting statistical requirements, developing operational and embedded field test items, etc.
- Work closely with Test Development Managers, other Content Developers, Psychometricians, and across group users of assessment content.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Some travel required for project-related meetings as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in English, English Literature, Education, or equivalent education & experience required; Master's degree desired.
- At least 5 years experience in English education required.
- Minimum 3 yrs. assessment experience with 1 yr. of content development experience.
- Ability to devise solutions to complex assessment issues with internal and external clients.
- Ability to convey complex concepts to a variety of audiences (internal, external, naive, sophisticated).
- Knowledge of and comfort with psychometric principles.
- Ability to construct test design covering field test and operational tests across years.
- Some experience in large-scale educational measurement, especially item development, strongly preferred.
- Must have outstanding verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to provide problems/solutions to a variety of audiences including both sophisticated and naive customers.
- Excellent project planning and organizational skills required, including the ability to coordinate a project and individuals and to adapt to unforeseen and unexpected requests or changes in priorities.
- General knowledge of all phases of the development, processing, scoring and reporting of large-scale assessments preferred.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-TX-Austin
Other Locations US-IA-Iowa City, US-TX-San Antonio, US-RE-Remote
Work Locations: US-TX-Austin-400 Center Ridge 400 Center Ridge Drive TechRidge Three.2 - Suite 100 Austin 78753
Job: Professional Development
Organization: Assessments School
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Jan 3, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1800101