Senior Desktop Publishing Specialist
At Pearson, we take learning personally. Our courses and resources are available in print, online and through multi-lingual packages, helping people learn whatever, wherever and however they choose.
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company. Our education imprints combine 150 years of experience with online support for every learner.
We provide education and assessment services in over 75 countries. Products such as MyLabs are changing education practice worldwide.
Every day our work helps learning flourish, and wherever learning flourishes, so do people.
To lead on the production of specification typesetting for a wide range of qualifications, delivered via word templates that are structured, modular and re-usable. This includes seeking word template solutions, working collaboratively within project teams, and leading on supplier management, budget management, customer engagement, third party management and typesetting process.
1. Creation of Qualification Specifications (30%)
- Leads on the delivery of high-quality qualifications (e.g. creation of word templates, typesetting) through a combination hands-on typesetting and supplier management.
- Work closely with project teams to ensure that all specifications contribute to a positive user experience.
- Leads on establishing the broad scope for assigned projects, determining the extent to which hands-on typesetting or outsourcing should be employed.
- Provide costs and monitor budgets and schedules for all qualification components.
- Lead on sourcing and managing all typesetting suppliers for agreed projects, ensuring that:
- - work is of the highest quality and technical calibre
- - competitive rates are agreed
- Lead on creating the visual brand identity and apply consistent visual treatment in line with agreed approach, including creating style guides for qualifications.
2. Typesetting and layout implementation (30%)
- Apply advanced word skills (e.g. paragraph styles, table styles, headers and footer, section breaks) to support typesetting work.
- Lead on implementing best practice using word templates by leading suppliers and editorial on usage.
- Lead on the creation of templates (e.g. word templates), balancing accessibility with templates that are structured, modular and re-usable, including e.g.
- support for development of specification templates in line with Pearson branding treatment;
- create templates with clear and accessible paragraph styles, table styles, headers and footer, section breaks, etc. for use by a range of team members / suppliers.
3. Content tools, workflows and processes ( 20%)
- Keep abreast of industry trends in software development and identifyopportunities for future improvements to content developmentprocess;
- Identify to line manager any potential process improvements, ensuring speed to market, budget and quality is maintained;
- Lead on project/team initiatives, taking direction from line manager.
4. Databases and Archiving (15%)
- To manage files and DTP databases, archiving, by following protocol and file naming conventions, to manage version control;
- To ensure that procedures are followed by qualification development colleagues preparing documents in teams.
5. Additional/lateral responsibilities (5%).
- Provide DTP lead on projects, working collaboratively with project team members.
- Advocate and adopt Pearson branding and accessibility standards;
- Mentors application and correct usage of word templates inhouse and with supplier, providing basic template training and routine tasks for team members.
Pearson is an equal opportunities employer. We do not discriminate against employees or job applicants and select the best person for each job based on relevant skills and experience.
We are also committed to building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce and encouraging equality and diversity.
The information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. It will not be seen by those involved in making decisions as part of the recruitment process.
Key Requirements (Skills and Experiences)
- Drive - willingness to take responsibility, take action and where appropriate to lead
- Flexibility, adapt to change, ability to assess and prioritize workloads and be responsive to deadlines and fluxing schedules
- Communication (including a high level of competence with written and spoken English), collaboration, team-working, relationship-building
- Able to support team members in peak periods, or cover for colleagues in their absence, being reliable / dependable
- Attention to detail, thoroughness and accuracy
- Organisational, planning and project management skills
- Budget and schedule management
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Understand software development processes, interest in self development and training in new software and soft skills
- Use initiative / independent thinking
- To work through very high volumes of materials to very tight deadlines
- Excellent visual typesetting skills (layout, strong paragraph style and table skills, coupled with technical competence).
- Advocates and adopts accessibility guidelines and user centric design principles.
- Takes a keen interest in current developments in the area of digital media (particularly trends and innovations in the areas of page layout, scripts, styles)
- Excellent understanding and advanced experience in Word templates.
- An ability to identify and recommend potential third parties and/or technologies to add value or competitive advantage.
- Expert experience and knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Detailed understanding of Indesign, scripts, Grep. Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite desirable.
Primary Location: GB-GB-London
Work Locations: GB-London-190 High Holborn 190 High Holborn London WC1V 7BH
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Standard
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 12, 2019
Job Unposting: Feb 24, 2019
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1900859
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.