We are here to ensure these networks operate safely, reliably and provide value for taxpayers and customers.
About the role
The “Senior Engineer, Highways” will take a leading role in our monitoring of Highways England – monitoring how it delivers performance (for example improving safety and keeping traffic flowing), manages its assets, delivers improvement schemes and operates the network. They will also help develop ORR’s contribution to the next Reporting Period.
The role includes:
- monitoring and reporting on Highways England’s performance and delivery of outcomes/outputs
- analysis of Highways England’s capital portfolio;
- provide expert input to analysis of engineering and highways network management best practice; and
- expert input into highways asset management.
This presents an exciting opportunity for the successful applicant to work with a dynamic team, stakeholders across the industry and to contribute to better performance of the SRN.
You will play a leading role in monitoring and reporting on the performance of Highways England, the key responsibilities, although not exhaustive, will be to:
- review Highways England performance and delivery of outcomes / outputs (for example, whether it is supporting the smooth flow of traffic)
- assess the management and performance of the SRN infrastructure assets
- review and report on delivery of the capital portfolio including road improvement schemes
- review its costs and contribute to understanding whether it is delivering value-for-money
- review and report on how it is managing its assets –such as roads, bridges, earthworks, roadside technology and drainage
- manage engineering consultancy work, as required
- build strategic partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- share performance analysis and technical knowledge with colleagues across ORR, including to support training and development activities.
You should be also able to demonstrate these key Communication and Collaboration skills:
- strong written and oral communication. This includes the ability to communicate technical issues in straightforward ways, which non-specialists and senior colleagues can readily engage with
- confident and capable of owning senior strategic relationships and representing ORR to a diverse set of stakeholders
- presentation skills, able to deliver clear messages to a varied audience
- effective at managing meetings, setting clear agenda and ensuring all participants are able to engage effectively
- strong team working skills, with experience of dealing with colleagues with different skills and different professional backgrounds
- establish and manage effective relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders, able to deliver clear messages whilst listening to feedback relevant to ORR’s policy-making
In carrying out this role you will:
- produce regular high quality reports on Highways England’s performance
- produce robust analysis of data to inform our reporting of performance
- brief/present analysis to senior leaders
- carry out project work and manage projects, including using external experts
- build strong partnership with internal and external stakeholders
- contribute to the development of our policies on monitoring
- contribute to our reviews of key concerns- including consideration of whether we need to escalate issues and take enforcement action
This description of the job may be subject to review, and is to provide you with guidelines within which you would work. Other duties appropriate to the grade may be assigned from time to time.
- relevant experience in:
- infrastructure engineering and / or regulation;
- performance monitoring
- financial monitoring
- programme and portfolio management
- data manipulation and analysis
- proven ability to deliver robust and clearly structured analysis on complex and varied technical topics, such as infrastructure development, portfolio delivery, and cost estimation
- providing leadership with analytical methods or approaches. This includes the ability to quickly understand the context; its technical or regulatory constraints; agree and build consensus; and offer options with clearly appraised advantages and disadvantages
- identifying and using a wide range of relevant data to assess patterns and trends; identify costs and benefits; develop and test options to reach robust conclusions
- experience of applying regulatory expertise in different industries;
- knowledge of the highways sector and Highways England; and
- understanding of the principles of economic regulation.
Qualified to degree engineering or equivalent in a relevant discipline
Closing date: 22nd April 2019