Senior Enterprise Architect
The Senior Enterprise Architect will play a critical role in making sure our enterprise systems and programs are envisioned, designed, developed and implemented across the enterprise to meet business needs. This person will often be involved at every phase of the project lifecycle from intake through delivery and will be considered one of the leadership team members that have primary responsibility that a solution is well engineered, operable, maintainable, delivered on schedule, aligns to enterprise vision and actually provides the anticipated business value.
SCOPE AND IMPACT OF JOB
This role will work as part of Pearson’s EA and Core platforms team, reporting to a senior member of the enterprise architecture team. This role may also involve working with regional CTOs, Technical Leadership across the lines of business, and other supporting architects to ensure our systems are in alignment with Pearson vision, technology, roadmaps and/or standards. This individual must be able to design systems that cross multiple business areas within our environment, and must think holistically with respect to the integration and operation of many complex components that are configured in a secure, highly available, and highly distributed, manner. This person is expected to understand technology strategies and have an in depth understanding of the technical standards, specifications and policies that are supported within the publishing and royalties ecosystem. This individual would be accountable for architecting document management and contract management solutions. The candidate is expected to utilize the adopted tools used to support our SDLC to create, design and deliver solutions, and is expected to comply with all established department and personnel policies.
The Senior EA’s Lead responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Ensures alignment of cross program IT strategy and planning with company's business goals.
- Optimizes information management approaches through an understanding of evolving business needs and technology capabilities.
- Develops a long-term strategic utilization plan for the company's IT systems and helps “as is” architectures become “to be” architectures through phasing and cost benefit analysis.
- Promotes the use of shared infrastructure and applications to reduce costs and improve information flows. Ensures that projects do not duplicate functionality or diverge from each other and business and IT strategies.
- Collaborate with other architects and provide a consensus-based enterprise solution that is scalable, adaptable and synchronized with the ever changing business needs.
- Manages risks associated with information and IT assets through the development, use and promotion of the appropriate standards and security policies.
- Involved in direct, or indirect, manner with the development of policies, standards and guidelines that direct the selection, development, implementation and use of information technologies within the enterprise.
- Build employee knowledge and skills in specific areas of expertise.
- Work to settle architecture differences or conflicts existing across the various architecture layers in the enterprise.
- Work with various business and IT stakeholders to demonstrate and show business value of enterprise wide, shared infrastructure or to show value of any new strategic platforms being considered.
- Work with project business and technical staff to capture and validate integration requirements for the project, using industry standard integration and SOA methodologies.
- Design and deliver high quality integration solutions that satisfy project requirements and meet Pearson’s enterprise needs. The quality of the solutions must be assured by following Pearson’s standard best practice for integration development, using agreed industry standards for integration throughout the service development lifecycle.
- Evangelize and explain SOA, integration and other architecture principles, benefits and technical solutions to business and technical audiences.
Workstream/Line Management responsibilities:
- Plan and work to program milestone delivery
- Work supportively and collaboratively with other teams
- Build relationships and trust with key stakeholders to support program delivery and adoption of enterprise architecture.
- Communicate in line with program communications and plans with team and wider stakeholders.
- Matrixed reporting of all technical stakeholders responsible for a solution
- Lead the project technical team to deliver effectively
- No direct line management responsibilities are planned for this role
Key Program Challenges:
- Working with users who are undergoing a major transition from multiple home grown royalty solutions to a single global platform
- Consolidating multiple tools into a consistent set of global capabilities
- Working in a matrixed and virtual environment
- Working with a number of stakeholders: externally, internally and internationally
- Working on multiple projects and tasks at one time
- Working as part of a global team and thinking globally
- Working with a global customer base and engaging effectively and collaboratively with people from different cultures
- Some out of hours working will be required to support the global organization
- Building internal confidence in a situation of consistent change
- Developing effective architecture solutions that not only satisfy immediate project requirements but also deliver a coherent, reusable, reliable and phased architecture to help the business grow and change while aligning to strategic vision.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experience in architecting publishing rights and royalties solutions
- Experience in architecting document management solutions
- Experience in architecting contract management solutions
- Experience with technology architecting and development tool kits
- Proven history of being able to communicate vision and persuade adoption
- Knowledge and experience with web and mobile technologies
- Proven experience of successful software delivery throughout the packaged software implementation lifecycle, including substantial experience of working as a senior architect on multiple projects
- Proven experience developing successful API, SOA and integration solutions in an enterprise environment on one or more industry standard integration suites on multiple projects
- Strong skills in critical thinking and analysis, meeting facilitation, verbal and written communications, and interpersonal interactions (e.g., partnering, conflict management, consulting, etc.).
- Ability to perform complex analysis of customer provided data using company provided tools and systems.
- Ability to document complex architectural concepts and solutions in both business and technical terms
- Knowledge of logical data modeling and physical data modeling concepts
- Knowledge of enterprise architecture design concepts
- Proven capability to understand and meet requirements from both internal and external customers
- Experienced in developing software with good non-functional attributes (high performance, low footprint, scalable, robust, secure etc)
- Proven experience as a successful technical lead, able to guide a technical team effectively
- Proven experience leading a widely distributed team in a global enterprise.
- Proven experience with various architecture disciplines such as security, network, operations, and data architecture
- Experience of integrating with on-site and 3rd party cloud applications
- Proven track record of working in an agile methodology using some level of continuous integration.
- Successful design and implementation in a significant transformational project or very large product delivery program
- Must be on top of current technologies and understand how they might be used to solve challenges today and in the future.
- Must be able to identify and work with stakeholders to collect, aggregate, and evaluate requirements in light of current and future technology, resources, and budgets
- Must be able to understand the overall business strategy to ensure components of the architectural vision align with those of management and other stakeholders
- Must be able to weigh the value of the functionality against the impact of the change to our application ecosystem, resources at hand, and future of the technology landscape
MUST HAVE: Broad experience in enterprise architecture including the ability to translate Business Strategy and Vision into an Architecture Blueprint and partnering with Key Business Stakeholders. Must be able to map business opportunity to appropriate architecture patterns and evolve architecture as business strategies and technologies mature. Must have experience developing incremental architecture strategies that facilitate migration toward a future state architecture blueprint. Must be able to present ideas and persuading people at executive, managerial and contributor levels in an organization. Able to guide successful execution of architecture vision through adoption of governance principles and practices.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Primary Location: US-NC-Morrisville
Work Locations: US-NC-Morrisville-2250 Perimeter Park 2250 Perimeter Park Drive Suite 140 Morrisville 27560
Organization: Technology & Operations
Employee Status: Regular Employee
Job Type: Experienced
Shift: Day Job
Job Posting: Feb 28, 2018
Job Unposting: Ongoing
Schedule: Full-time Regular
Req ID: 1802757